Global data pollution

Last Updated:

1. BobPaul

BobPaul Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Something just struck me, and a part of me likes it, another part of me is frustrated because my Captivate is broken.

Yep, I have a Captivate which means I am polluting whatever data set google is building from Android user location information.

Right now I am not worried about the info collect about my movements as they are very very inaccurate.

How accurate will future "information" collected be?

Is there a future for an app to obfuscate your location?

Advertisement
  2. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

I doubt it since you can already deactivate GPS independently and deactivate location based apps if you want to. Are you sayig that you want to be able to run GPS and location based apps without google knowing where you are? That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? The only practical reason I could see for wanting to obscure your location is for services like Latittude, which specifically tell others where you are. Then again those can always be turned off as well.

3. BobPaul

Well there is "knowing" so that an app can provide me a service and then there is "knowing" and then "remembering" information about me specifically.

Are you saying you are OK with your every movement being remembered by a corporation that is on record as having no strong beliefs in privacy?

Truthfully, I am surprised this is not discussed more often herein.

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Not meant to be mean but what makes you think out of the millions of Google users they would be interested in your location? Also the information is only linked to your email address and that isn't a legal form of identification. It's not like they have your passport number of social security number.

5. BobPaul

I don;t take your comments as mean at all. I think you are naive if you think your true identity will stay shielded because you use an email from something like hotmail, google or yahoo. Plus you are identifiable via your phone number which in America is most likely tied to your social security number.

Will someone come after me specifically? Perhaps not, but I still am annoyed that someone profits from info about me.

Now, how can you ensure that you won't be specifically targeted? What if a group of people get together, penetrate google's database and use location information to rob your home when they are fairly certain you will not be there? I know many will laugh, but their laughs will be due to naivety.

Humans are evil and put into a position of potential power it is only a matter of time until this information is abused. Just wait and see, I've no doubt that we will see an unintended "event" take place. When and where, I don't know. It will happen.

PS: Some of us older people still remember a world where your life is private. Younger people don't understand what I am talking about.

PPS: And a question directed to those on the left of the political spectrum, I thought "privacy" was a much desired social attribute? Indeed it is the basis of how "Roe vs Wade" was held to be constitutional.

PPPS: bluenova, I realize you are from Europe and as such you likely don't understand where I am coming from. I used to live in Europe and recognize that a strong affinity for "rights" is not as ingrained in the European mindset as it is in the American mindset.