GM Working on Android Powered Car

Last Updated:

1. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

GM is working on an Android Powered Car system for their vehicles. This will synchronize with your Android phone and allow you to start your car from your phone (I assume lock/unlock the car as well). It will have full GPS integration as well.

It definitely seems interesting to me.

Android is appearing everywhere: TV/Appliances/Cars. Soon Android will just be a way of life...

Makes me wonder about skynet.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

Google has managed to do some scary things :eek:

Just wait till the black berry terminator comes out.

3. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just to be clear... we are talking about the phone that is to be sent back in time to destroy Google and Apple?

4. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

At this rate we will have cars like Will Smith's car in I, Robot :D

[​IMG]

5. Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008 Well-Known Member

I think that's a really terrible idea. The hacking/car theft possibilities are endless. I'll pass on that one.

6. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

I don't mind it for ICE (In Car Entertainment) /Navigation/Music like the Ford Synch, Audi MMI, Mercedes COMAD.

If it had s slick UI, the ability to do voice dictated NAV directions, Nav w/ satellite layers, Street-view, that would be cool. As long as it is not tied to a SIM/data-plan, I'm all for it.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you. :D

8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

It is not an android powered car. For the Chevy Volt there will be an Android app that syncs with OnStar. For years OnStar has been able to lock/unlock your car, start your car, run diagnostics, use GPS to locate your car/turn by turn directions, and even disable your engine.

The only thing that is new here is that if you own a Volt you will be able to do most of this with an app instead of having to call OnStar and have them do it for you. I hope they will expand this to all their OnStar equipped cars so that I can use it.