Gmail account indicator no longer workingSupport

Last Updated: 2011-07-06 02:33:58
  1. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Hey folks.

Recently as in the past few days I have noticed that new emails aren't giving me the status update/green flashing light as SMS messages are. The only thing i've done recently is re-flashed with the BA20 update and did a restore from Titanium backup of my apps and system info. I am getting mail, but no indicator. I have the account set to check every 5 mins and send and indication.

I sent a test email to my account and went into settings, data sync and sync'd gmail and the the indicator worked as it immediately found my new test email. I've received several emails in the past few days though with no indication.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Mods you can delete this. It seems that after forcing the Gmail sync now it's working again. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but it seems okay now.
  3. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Hey there, glad you got sorted in the end, persistence and fiddling often pay in the end!

Threads aren't normally deleted unless its spam or profanity etc. The information can be useful if someone searches for the same issue. It will fade off the front page in the next day or so with all the 2.1 stuff going on.
  4. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Understood thanks :)
  5. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Well, the issue is back. Gmail's don't throw an indicator. I have all the sync settings enabled I can find but nothing happens.

I loaded K9 based on recommendations here and the notifications work(although the green light doesn't flash with k9)... but honestly I don't like the client quite as well.

I could try maildroid but i'm guessing that the stock client is the only one that uses the green light on the phone when there's mail?

Can I reinstall the mail client without flashing?
  6. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Okay, so I restarted the phone, uninstalled k9 and then the notifications worked for about a half hour and now they're not working again :(

It's clearly not a setting...more of a fluke.
  7. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Okay more information... seems it's not even syncing right. When I send myself an email I have to open the client and load messages for it to appear. :(

Any ideas? Can I reinstall the stock client without flashing?
  8. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Okay this is driving me nuts. I tried maildroid and it was working with the notifications and even the led(the blue was cooler than green)... but now IT'S not working either!!! The sound still plays and i get the notification in the status bar but no light! This is killing me :(

No one else having this??
  9. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

I use k9 and just noticed that my indicator light does not flash if the screen is on. The notification shows up and so does the sound. I guess this does make sense since if the screen is on I can see the notification and the LED does not need to flash.

Any chance the Maildroid is set up the same way?
  10. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

It makes sense... but it's not what i'm seeing. I have inconsistant results....this past weekend I didn't receive a single notification for new email so i removed Maildroid and went back to the stock client. I guess I will have to live with it.

I might reflash this week...perhaps something i've installed has buggered up the whole system.
  11. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

It's definitely not syncing... i have to go into the client and load more messages for them to even show up long after I know they've arrived, and the timestamp on the email confirms. I have all the syncing stuff on though..this just sucks :(
  12. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Reflashed 2.1

It worked!

But... I started reinstalling stuff and now it is broken again :( It's definitely one of my apps. I'm going to start uninstalling the ones that could affect something like email sync at least logically and go from there.

Pain in the a$$
  13. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

UPdate: I installed a couple apps like Gmail Notifier but nothing worked...it's not the notifications but the syncing that seems to be broken.

Did some more searching in other phone sections and found that other phones have this problem with 2.1 and 2.2. One 'workaround' that seems to work is to add the power control widget and cycle the sync. When I do that it works and emails appear. I really don't want to have to cycle my sync though... what can be causing it to hang?
  14. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Update and hopefully my last :)

I reflashed today... setup email...tested worked.
    Installed astro and titanium...rooted. Tested, worked.
    Restored ADW and all my widgets, tested...worked.
    Began reinstalling my apps using appbrain..tested...worked.

I've put pretty much everything back on and it still works so i'm kinda puzzled, but for now at least I have gmail sync. I'm not going to set up my hotmail as I rarely use it.

One odd behavior is I get the notifications in teh gmail clients 100% of the time but occasionally i also get the notifications from the email client...duplicates. Not sure what that's about...but again i'm happy it's working so i'm not going to mess with it anymore.
  15. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

Glad it is working for you.:)
  16. tbok

tbok New Member

Im having the led gmail notification issue too. Ever since he system update on droid x. I read your posts but you're speaking a language I don't understand! Lol im just a girl with a phone. Idk what reflashing and all that jazz means. Help!