Gmail and attachments???Support

Last Updated:

1. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok - I sent myself an attachement - sent to my gmail account.... I can see the email, can see the attached file's name. Can't do a damn thing with it! Can't even SAVE to phone... wtf???

Am I missing something?

I mean - it's about as stupid as having segregated "Gmail" and "Email" apps on a single phone...

:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. MisterSlanky

MisterSlanky Member

I really could care less about the segregated apps for mail (in fact I prefer it), but I've also run into this problem with the inability to save e-mail attachments (I emailed myself an MP3 I was going to make a ringtone from).

Anybody find a work-around?

3. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

Just tested this with a graphic using gmail and the gmail app. Underneath the jpg attachment I had two buttons. One to preview or one to download...Is it different, perhaps, with different types of files? Or different within the general email app?

4. mi_canuck

well i sent myself the pdanet.pkg file (to install the pdanet app on my mac at home - my internet is down.... )... so it very well can be attachment type dependent...

5. mi_canuck

in any case... i found a workaround to get the file I needed... but the gmail attachment issue is something i REALLY hope google addresses...

6. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

im failry certain it is attachement dependent...also size may have something to do too. ive noticed some mp3 files (that are around 1mb/1.5mb or less) let me have a download button, and larger full songs dont (around 4mb)

7. raandra

raandra New Member

It's a strange feature but Gmail app downloads only certain files (such as .jpg, .png, etc)
    There are several ways to solve it.

One of the best ways is to install Astro app and in it's settings/preferences click on Enable Browser Download. Astro will inform you that this is conflicting with preview, but dont't worry.

After this operation you'll still have just a Preview button when you open the mail with attachement in your Gmail app, but if you click on it you will have a popup asking you if you want to open the file with the associated application (Adobe Reader for .pdf for instance) or you will use Astro. If you choose Astro your file will be downloaded to download folder, where you can handle it further....

Hope it's simple

Bye