• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail and contacts sync

elgibby

Jul 28, 2010
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I didn't understand the choices (save on SIM, phone or Google) when I created my phone contacts. About half came from GMail. But the other half either came from Facebook etc, or were created on the phone -- and saved to the phone. I can't find a way to re-save the non-Google contacts to Google. I want to get the phone contacts up to Google so the sync/backup system will work. How? (Other than manually doing the whole damn thing again.)
thx

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I didn't understand the choices (save on SIM, phone or Google) when I created my phone contacts. About half came from GMail. But the other half either came from Facebook etc, or were created on the phone -- and saved to the phone. I can't find a way to re-save the non-Google contacts to Google. I want to get the phone contacts up to Google so the sync/backup system will work. How? (Other than manually doing the whole damn thing again.)
thx

Don't manually do the whole thing!! I exported my phone contacts to the SD card as a vcf(? it has been awhile but I think it was vcf) then saved that file to my PC. I then logged into my gmail account and uploaded the phone contacts to my gmail account using the "import contacts" function. I hope this helps. In retrospect I guess I could have browsed to the phone from the PC without saving the file to the PC to save a step. But now I have a backup on the PC as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: elgibby
Upvote 0
Don't manually do the whole thing!! I exported my phone contacts to the SD card as a vcf(? it has been awhile but I think it was vcf) then saved that file to my PC. I then logged into my gmail account and uploaded the phone contacts to my gmail account using the "import contacts" function. I hope this helps. In retrospect I guess I could have browsed to the phone from the PC without saving the file to the PC to save a step. But now I have a backup on the PC as well.

Good luck.

Thanks, robo, that worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
Thanks, robo, that worked perfectly.

You're very welcome! Glad you got that sorted out.
cheers2.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones