• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail and Notifications

Well, this was a problem I encountered with a previous Android device (Galaxy S) and now I have it with the Nexus too.

Basically, when I first set up the phone, notifications from Gmail arrived almost instantly, including when my phone has been on sleep. Now, I only get notifications when the phone is awake (afaik; it may just be taking longer than it used to, testing it right now).

I figured a factory reset might do the trick, but it didn't seem to. Resetting all Gmail data and re-syncing didn't seem to work either. I would also rather not leave the phone awake all the time (unless it has negligible effect on battery life).

I previously had JuiceDefender, which could have been the culprit, but I removed it.

Anyone else have the same problem and resolved it? And can anyone confirm that they do get email (specifically Gmail) notifications while the phone is asleep? I'm hoping it's not my imagination there.

I definitely get Gmail notifications when the phone is sleeping. In fact, they arrive about half a second faster than the Acer tablet and both get here a full two seconds before my Chrome Gmail extension registers a new message.

I've never used Juice Defender, but from my understanding, that prevents any data connection while sleeping, so that could definitely be the culprit.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Juice Defender will DEFINATELY do that... i use JD but i t didnt bother me.... but JD turns off all signals leaving ur phone accept calling and txt obviously and will periodically turn on data so things like email face book etc will be able to update and receive info.... You can tell by the little JD Shield.. if it has a RED dot that means all signals disabled (accept for phone and txt) if it is BLUE that means some are diabled.. GREEN means its being forced to have all data ENABLED.. But you can change those settings

Upvote 0
sigh,

*climbs on pulpit*

its been PROVEN many times that apps like JD are not only un-necessary but often cause issues with android.

They at most can be marginally beneficial in only 2 instances.
1. you have a app loaded that is corrupt,buggy,or evil that is causing battery drain.
2. you have a app or the OS itself configured inappropriately.

in both these cases it can at best be considered a band aid. In return for this "feature" people deal with missing notifications, alarms that don't work, crashed apps, missed phone calls, etc.

*climbs down*

the above is my personal opinion, others are welcome to their own, there are those that swear by it. I wish them well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. However, that said, it doesn't quite help the predicament I'm in now after having removed JuiceDefender.

I tested it again, but it didn't work until after the phone came out of sleep.
Note: Wifi is most definitely set to remain on while the phone is asleep. I seem to be getting delayed push notifications from Facebook, so I'd imagine it's not a problem with Wifi being turned off. I'll try another factory reset, see what happens.

Upvote 0
sigh,

*climbs on pulpit*

its been PROVEN many times that apps like JD are not only un-necessary but often cause issues with android.

They at most can be marginally beneficial in only 2 instances.
1. you have a app loaded that is corrupt,buggy,or evil that is causing battery drain.
2. you have a app or the OS itself configured inappropriately.

in both these cases it can at best be considered a band aid. In return for this "feature" people deal with missing notifications, alarms that don't work, crashed apps, missed phone calls, etc.

*climbs down*

the above is my personal opinion, others are welcome to their own, there are those that swear by it. I wish them well.

Not to disagree but it sounds like you are talking about a Task Killer. Why would JD be bad? I didn't look at all the options when I tried it out, so it may indeed have an option to kill tasks (bad), but in general my understanding is it just turns off your data connection when the screen is off or processor use is below a threshold. It will then turn it back on at some interval the user can select (or not at all), to sync. I'm interested to know how that can be bad for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones