• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help gmail app: auto complete contacts question

Special K

Oct 11, 2010
When I'm composing an email using the gmail app, it has a few names/email addresses stored that it tries to autocomplete for me. How do these names get added, and is there a way for me to add them manually? The gmail app doesn't seem to sync with the list of contacts I have in my actual gmail account.

When I'm composing an email using the gmail app, it has a few names/email addresses stored that it tries to autocomplete for me. How do these names get added, and is there a way for me to add them manually? The gmail app doesn't seem to sync with the list of contacts I have in my actual gmail account.

It's most likely contacts that you've recently emailed (or gotten an email from). If they aren't in your "My Contacts" group, they'll probably be listed in "Other Contacts". I'm sure that if you email someone in "My Contacts", you'll see their name in the auto-complete list in the future.

Upvote 0
OK, I figured this out. Whenever you add a contact to your phone and include an email address, that email address will automatically appear when you type the person's name into a new email in the gmail app.

I tried adding a contact to the "my contacts" section of the regular gmail website, but so far it hasn't been added to the autocomplete list of my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones