1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

GMail app / Google Voice voicemail question

Last Updated:

1. scottfreeze

scottfreeze New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Sorry for the partial cross post, but I wasn't getting any love in the Droid forum.

Simple question... does the GMail app play Google Voice voicemail messages for you all? Because when I click the "play message" link, it just opens my browser and prompts me to save "voicemail.mp3". What I want to know is... did I mess up my settings somehow, or is this how the GMail app treats Google Voice voicemail messages for everyone?

Thanks,
    Freeze

Advertisement
  2. les017

les017 Active Member

You are getting normal operation. The ability to sort/play GVmails from within GMail, ala GV, is on their list of suggestions.

You can go an vote for it HERE

3. jahsh

jahsh Active Member

You can however, actually download the Google Voice application, which let's you play the mp3.

Although it does get kinda furstrating, since I feel like I get 4 notification for every VM, SMS, GV, missed call, and gmail.

4. scottfreeze

scottfreeze New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it's not just me, hopefully Google will address it with the next GMail app update.

jahsh... for your notification problem, I solved it by using only GMail for notifications. Specifically, I have my Google Voice web panel settings set to notify my GMail account upon receiving a voicemail or an SMS, and I unchecked the setting that would send the voicemails to the phone as a text message.

That way, I get the notifications of messages "pushed" to the GMail app immediately instead of having to wait for the 5 minute minimum refresh time of the Google Voice app. The key is to then go into the GV app on the phone and disable all the notifications.

That way, I only get one notification (always from GMail) for each message whether it's voice or SMS.

Hope that helps,
    Freeze

5. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Thanks les,
    I installed GV for receiving voimail and it does the thing I need.
    I though I have to exit gmail and go into GV to get the voice mail.)
    The downside: I could not figure out how delete all voicemail entries in
    one step and not one-by-one.

Peter