• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help gmail app gray bar (stripe) on right side

That's just an aesthetic Google added to draw more attention to the folder/side menu. I'm assuming it goes away like mine once you close the side menu?

The only way I know of is to try and downgrade to the previous version which doesn't include that feature. You might search for all jellybean apk of gmail.

Upvote 0
MLBack16,
Tnx for the reply.

I can't seem to get it to go away. How do I "close the side menu" ? Did you have a look at the pix? I can't see how this would "draw more attention" to the folder list. If it *IS* as you say a "google" thing. All it does it take up space on the display (which is exactly the reason I bought the S3. For the big screen).

This an ATT version that does have the left side pop out menu like the Sprints have if that is what you are thinking.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks again, for the reply.

Upvote 0
What I mean is, Google shades the rest out so you focus on the contents of the side menu. Its the app design and part of the latest gmail apk regardless of carrier.

I only get that heavy shaded area when I open the side menu. Once I close it and the menu slides back out of the way to the left, the shaded area goes away.

I'm sorry that it bothers you this much, but I think the only way to change this is to revert back to an older version of gmail which did not include that feature.

Upvote 0
MlBlack16,

I just looked at a friend's S3 today who uses Sprint. I see the side menu you are talking about. It slides sideways on and off. I (as an ATT user) do not have anything like that side menu on my phone. I am sure my gray bar issue is not the same thing you are talking about. But I appreciate the input just the same. thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones