1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gmail app not emptying trash

Last Updated:

1. mylinuxbox

mylinuxbox Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why will the gmail app not empty the trash folder?

If I delete an email on the phone and then switch to the trash folder my emails are there. I then select them all again to delete as you would expect. Yet each time I reload the trash folder all the deleted emails are still there. If i want to really delete them I have to go in to gmail with my pc.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. mylinuxbox

27 People have read this but no response.

Any chance someone else can have a look at their phone and see if they get this issue?

3. ou7shined

ou7shined Well-Known Member

I'd like to try this for you but I can't find how to delete them a second time - under the Trash label.
    I love to get this working as I have a lot of forum notifications but if I "delete" 1 after reading it, it always comes back as part of a conversation when I get another notification from the same site and the only way to delete it for good is to empty my trash from my laptop.

4. rgss06

rgss06 Active Member

Mine was doing that also on my Sprint Hero. I went to the bottom of the page and selected older version and was able to delete like normal. After a couple times of doing it that way it started working for me and has since. You also could try rebooting your phone. Hope you get it figured out.

5. mylinuxbox

For those not sure about this, delete a message, view the trash label and load conversations. Once loaded delete the conversations there. Next close gmail. Open gmail again and open the yeah label again and see if the previously deleted messages appear again.

Surely we should not need to go to gmail via PC or browser on there phone to completely delete the messages.

6. ou7shined

ou7shined Well-Known Member

I've worked it out. Once under the Trash label, individually check each conversation to be deleted (the check turns green) then a new delete tab opens up at the bottom.

Sadly I am getting the same results as the OP.

7. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Mine is doing the same thing. If I delete from the Trash label in the Gmail app, it looks like it is gone, but when I exit and come back, it is there.

No big deal for me. Messages in the trash get deleted after X number of days. That is good enough for me. I don't think I ever deleted mail from trash (on the desktop version or Gmail app), I just let them roll off automatically.

Edit: I have a Sprint HTC Hero.

8. Kodama

Kodama New Member

same problem here. no way to delete in trash folder. no solutions yet?

9. wcookiedude

wcookiedude New Member

instead of using the built in app use the google browser to go to gmails web site it automatically reformats the page for a mobile it has more features and you can delete forever your bin just bookmark the page and add the bookmark to your home page in place of the gmail app icon works for me .

10. wcookiedude

wcookiedude New Member

lol just noticed date of last post my browser said post was on may 1st 2012