• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail app not working

Starting yesterday (3/21) Gmail will not work. I open the app and it goes to my inbox, but I can't do anything. It's frozen (pressing menu does nothing and I can't open any emails), it turns black and then goes back to the inbox or rapidly slides around as if scrolling was from side to side instead of up and down. I've occasionally been able to get it to labels, but the inbox is still inaccessible. I've shut down and restarted my phone, but it makes no difference.

I've forced stopped, cleared data and cleared cache multiples times. After clearing data the app is empty, I go to accounts, it says there are none so I go through the process of adding one, but it says that account already exists on this phone. I go back to the main page where it's "waiting for sync", I hit refresh and it syncs to my inbox, but is just as frozen as before. Lastly I've uninstalled updates (it's now back to version 2.3.4.1), but it hasn't made a difference. When I go to the market and try to update it I get this:

"Error: Your order is processing, your item will be available in a few minutes."

It says it's starting download, but nothing changes. Does anyone have a solution for this short of a factory reset? I really don't want to have to back up all my data and write down every app I've installed so I can reinstall them again, especially since one or two of them are no longer available or not longer available for free.

Notes: Phone has Gingerbread 2.3.3. I have not recently installed any apps.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones