Gmail app: "Respond inline"

1. FortKnox

FortKnox Well-Known Member

The "Respond inline" button in Android's flavor of Gmail... just what do I need to do to make it look exactly the same as if I was using the web interface?

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You can't do anything to change the appearance of the app. If you want the web interface then you should use the web interface.
  3. FortKnox

Ah, sorry, badly worded question. I meant to ask How do I make the email that is sent look just like I sent it from the web? i.e. I don't want there to be any way to tell it was sent from my phone...
  4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

When I send from my device nobody can tell the difference.

Or are you asking about the "signature"?
  5. FortKnox

Thanks for the reply, but sorry, that wasn't worded so that it answers the question-- it works for you "when you send from your device" with "Respond inline" turned ON or turned OFF? "Nobody can tell the difference" is what I'm aiming for...

I don't mean signature, I get that, only curious about the effect of "Respond inline". I see that it puts the text of the message that you're replying to in the body of the email that you're currently writing, so what happens if you don't turn it on? Can the recipient still somehow get to the text of the original message, or is that dependent on email provider?
  6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

You can also just erase the text before you hit send. The only thing that they have access to is what you send
  7. FortKnox

I JUST GOT IT. OK, OK, so the ONLY things that are sent from the Gmail app is whatever's in the editable box. The original message you're replying to won't be in your editable textbox-- thus won't be sent-- unless you click Respond inline. Got it, got it, got it. So if my recipient uses Gmail, no need to bother with sending the text they sent me right back to 'em. If they're using some other email, there's no guaranteed they have access to previous message in this thread, so leave Respond inline checked. Thanks so much!
  8. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

Glad we could help:)