Gmail App vs HTC Mail AppGeneral

Last Updated:

1. gatekeeper

gatekeeper Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having trouble deciding because both of them have their pros and cons, but the main pros/cons being:

GMail Pros:
    Receives mail instantly
    Labels

Gmail Cons:
    Does not get "green bubble" numerical notifications (like with text messages)

HTC Pros:
    Green Bubble Notifications
    Easier access to multiple accounts

HTC Cons:
    Takes forever to receive mail
    (ex. Received an email at 3:10. Gmail got it at 3:10 but HTC never got it till 3:27)

Basically, is there a way to turn on the green bubble notifications for Gmail? While I like HTC's Mail client, I'd rather get my mail quicker over style.

Advertisement
  2. bmo21

bmo21 Active Member

I had a few more cons with the HTC mail so I went with the gmail one and got gmail unread count to give you that bubble you are looking for.

3. 34.50

34.50 Well-Known Member

That's odd, I get push gmail, and it shows me the unread count, and yeah, easy access to labels. Do you have background sync, and mobile data on?

4. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Ya, plenty of gmail unread widgets out there.

Which leaves only one CON, which is still my biggest pet peeve, opening and switching between two gmail accounts. I can make two shortcuts, one for each account, but each one opens up the app, and whichever account was opened last, it opens.

Also, when I email something from the OS, and I choose Gmail to send it, it uses whichever account I used last. So I'll have to quit, open Gmail, switch to the right account. Then go back and send the thing I was trying to send. I wish Android handled these email settings better.

5. sail4fun201

sail4fun201 Well-Known Member

If you set up Gmail as an Exchange in HTC Mail, can't you get push? That's how it works with my iTouch. Don't have my Incredible yet can't test for myself.

Edit: nvm I forgot, HTC Mail doesn't support IMAP IDLE.

6. gatekeeper

Thanks for the unread widget suggestion! Just got the phone 2 days ago so still working out the kinks and getting used to it. I forgot Google allows you to do whatever and doesn't have something stuck up their butt like Apple.

7. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

It did for me. I used to use HTC Mail for my gmail, as I liked the interface better, and I got emails almost instantaneously. I switched back to Gmail App because I couldn't get rid of an issue where I'd get sound notifications for the same email over and over. Tried everything to no avail. I also like the Gmail Delete button placement better (as trivial as this may sound, I use it on the majority of my emails).

8. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

I use my school e-mail on exchange with the HTC app, and then Gmail with the "Gmail Unread Count 1.2.2" (which works really well and gives you some customizable options, like for the icon).

9. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

HTC mail app on exchange is superior to Gmail app in virtually every single way.

10. gatekeeper

Except that (for me anyways) HTC takes forever to get mail.

Also, I downloaded the Gmail Unread Count App and it works great.... except it only works on one gmail account at a time. I'd rather it give me one combined amount of unread emails.

11. Robhimself

Robhimself Well-Known Member

I wish I could zoom in the gmail app, thats a little annoying. Cant copy text either.

12. dspanos

dspanos Member

I hated both of them so I installed the Droid's combined in box email and never looked back. It's much better than either of the apps that come on the Incredible. If you are interested just google Droid email.apk, copy it to your SD card, and install!

Edited: Here is the link... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=655426

13. ajiamarie

ajiamarie Well-Known Member

I like the Gmail app. The speed is great but I use 4 gmail accounts. It is a complete PITA to switch back and forth between accounts. If any app can fix this, it will get my vote.

14. dspanos

dspanos Member

See my post above yours! It has a combined in box, and each email is color coded to the account it comes from! Works awesome, and you don't have to keep switching back and forth between accounts!

ajiamarie likes this.
  15. n0m0n

n0m0n Well-Known Member

Which one you use the vanilla one of the other.
    I think the second needs to be pushed via ADB?

Thanks

16. dspanos

dspanos Member

I use the vanilla one. I used to have the Droid, and it works the same without having to do all that extra crap to get it installed.

17. Kaputnik

Kaputnik Member

I don't like that you can't delete or edit the original email when replying in the Gmail app. I think it's ******ed that you're forced to include it as quoted text. At least with the HTC app the original email can be deleted.

18. sail4fun201

sail4fun201 Well-Known Member

I don't like how the gmail web client quotes text when you reply. The one line "At this date, this person wrote:" is really sloppy, especially compared to Outlook 2010's implementation of a pretty classy quote preface.

Is this the way it is in the Gmail app, too? What about the HTC Mail app?

19. itsTee

itsTee Well-Known Member

love the gmail app. if you want the counter to show for gmail app.. download this

Gmail Unread Counter

20. gatekeeper

Well like I said before, that only works on one gmail account unless you plan on throwing down 2 (or more for some of us) separate icons which is dumb to do.

I think Im gonna try the droid email app like dspanos suggested.

21. Mischka7

Wow, I take it back. Just started using HTC Mail via Exchange Activesync again. Got email in Outlook about 5 minutes ago, hasn't showed up on the phone yet...that's pretty bad.

I have the sync settings on "as mail arrives". Not sure what the hold-up is. I love everything about the HTC mail app, but first and foremost I need a mail app that reliably syncs with Gmail.

UPDATE: OK, got the emails after 10 minutes. Strangely, it appears the sync got triggered when a brand new piece of mail came in that is not a part of any conversation. Could it be that Exchange only syncs on non-threaded messages?

22. MushroomStamp

MushroomStamp Active Member

The HTC app wasn't giving me HTML Email, so I use the GMAIL app.

I tried the email app DSPANOS linked to.. but it doesn't have a widget, also everytime you go into it, you have to select the account or Combined, you can't set it to default open to the combine, so it doesn't really seem to save me anything. Also it's timed polling, not push like the native gmail. lastly, I always look at the email via the notification bar. When you access your gmail via your notification bar it takes you to the account box, not the unified box. Nitpicky, yes, but it kinda takes away from the whole unified box thing. nope, one more thing, when you view the email via the notification bar and it opens the mail, it does NOT count it as read. When you back out it still shows as new. So totally pointless now.

23. DC2_408

DC2_408 Active Member

so what am I doing wrong? I'm using the intergrated gmail app, but the only way i get mail is if I refresh it. bleh

24. Mischka7

Check the sync settings and make sure Google is checked. Make sure the sync intervals are to your liking too.

DC2_408 likes this.
  25. MushroomStamp

MushroomStamp Active Member

Go to your Settings>Accounts & Sync and look at your gmail accounts make sure they are set to sync.

DC2_408 likes this.