1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Gmail app vs stock mail programSupport

1. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member

Antoher "Android Newbie" Question.

Is there a difference between the Gmail App and the e-mail set up on the phone? When I set u0p the phone I went through the registration process and included my Google account information. I then set up the Gmail app.

Now it looks like I have two different programs syncing with Gmail. Is that right? I can't imagine there being any advantage to this so what is better, running Gmail through the stock mail program or using the Gmail App. If the latter, how do I get rid of the phone mail program.

TIA
    DLM

Advertisement
    :
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

The Gmail app uses what we call server push - your gmail will be pushed to your phone so it's basically getting you your email in real time (as much as your network allows).

I don't use the Gmail app at all - I strictly use the Mail app, and set it to poll my various accounts at independent rates, and also by time of day.

My work email - every 15 minutes during work hours is fine, otherwise, hush. My friends and family sending me the latest jokes - every so often during work hours, every hour during my off-time.

And - the Mail app is HTC-specific, so it takes advantage of text reflowing on zoom, etc, etc.
    dmunz likes this.
  3. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member

So it sounds like there is no need for the Gmail App.

Thanks,
    DLM
  4. dlt123me

dlt123me Well-Known Member

Noobe here myself and will not get my phone till Monday. Good question...

Dennis
  5. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

It would be awesome if you could enable push for gmail in the hTC email app. I just hate having 2 different email programs running, an wasting battery polling the hTC app every 15mins for email, when you can get push that will not eat battery. Maybe someone should make a app to sync gmail to the htc app in your profile so you can get rid of the gmail app.
  6. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

Just set you Gmail up as exchange. The new sense allows multiple exchange accounts.

What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email
    EarlyMon likes this.
  7. cajuncartfan

cajuncartfan Active Member

I try to set this up but I keep getting an authentication error on both my personal gmail account and my work google apps account. I have checked my settings and everything looks correct. I would rather use the htc mail app because of the text reflow and download of attachments.
  8. project.in.process

project.in.process Well-Known Member

i prefer the GMail app vs the Stock app b/c i've multiple replies to single emails--"threads" and the Stock app will display each one as a single email, whereas Gmail app will only show one email.

so instead of scrolling through 45 emails (duplicates of a single email with one new line response), the Gmail app will show you the email itself, and upon tapping it--will take you to the newest response.

it just looks cleaner to me. but, to each his/her own

(yes, Stock app enables Conversation view by scrolling along the bottom icons--but i prefer this to be default, which can't be done on the Stock app)
  9. cajuncartfan

cajuncartfan Active Member

I figured it out. I got it to work after a hard reset.