• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail Batch Delete Checkboxes gone on my Galaxy SIII

wyattbiker

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
I have had my S3 for a while now and the Gmail app always showed next to each email in the inbox a checkbox so I could check them off and then batch delete unwanted emails.

Now all of a sudden the checkboxes are gone and the only way to delete is by swiping each email (very annoying and error prone).

I checked under settings for Batch Operations but there is no such thing. Did google change something? What am I missing here?

I have had my S3 for a while now and the Gmail app always showed next to each email in the inbox a checkbox so I could check them off and then batch delete unwanted emails.

Now all of a sudden the checkboxes are gone and the only way to delete is by swiping each email (very annoying and error prone).

I checked under settings for Batch Operations but there is no such thing. Did google change something? What am I missing here?

I don't know if you're using the same version I am, but try this:

Open gmail, tap the menu button, tap settings, tap general settings, make sure there is no check in the box next to "hide checkboxes"

Upvote 0
I don't know if you're using the same version I am, but try this:

Open gmail, tap the menu button, tap settings, tap general settings, make sure there is no check in the box next to "hide checkboxes"

I checked. No such thing as Hide Checkboxes. But they do have Hide Images. This seems to be a brand new upgrade.If you look at the reviews on google play, many people are complaining about this.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums wyattbiker. Yep it's a new version of Gmail. This is now version 4.5. The 4.3 version had the hide checkboxes option in settings. Did you enable your trashcan for individual messages. Google reset that option to show archive only in this new version but you can get it back by going to settings, general, settings, archive & delete actions and tapping on Show Archive and delete. One thing you might want to do is go to the Play Store and turn off auto updating of apps. That way your device just suggests an update instead of springing one on you like this one obviously did.

Upvote 0
I checked. No such thing as Hide Checkboxes. But they do have Hide Images. This seems to be a brand new upgrade.If you look at the reviews on google play, many people are complaining about this.

yeah, I just got the updated version tonight. Even though the checkboxes are gone, though, you can just do a quick tap on the "sender image" for each email in the list to accomplish the same task. Basically, just pretend the colored box with the letter on it is a checkbox.

Upvote 0
I too was suddenly mystified when my checkboxes went missing. I tried a few of the things mentioned here, but ultimately went into Settings>Applications>Gmail on my Samsung Galaxy s3 and chose the option to revert to the factory setting! Now my checkboxes are back. As someone else mentioned, I also stopped the automatic updates. This works just fine for me as I don't need many bells and whistles on my mail. :D

Upvote 0
Don't you wish they'd just quit messing with prettyfying? Does anyone care about pretty when looking at an email app? No! LOL

Well, I do...to a point. As soon as the "prettyfying" interferes significantly with function, I'm not happy. The changes to gmail, I can live with. The changes to Google Talk, I couldn't, and I reverted to the old version. I will stay with that until I'm forced to update, and then may swit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones