Gmail being access by Motorola?!?!?!General

Last Updated:

1. reddragon72

reddragon72 Well-Known Member

So I logged into my Gmail this morning and was hit by the red stripe at the top warning me that my Gmail account was accessed on the 1st by an IP that is not in my normal range. I looked up the IP address and this is what I got.

[​IMG]

So why would my phone be going through a moto server in california?? Or did someone from Moto or Moto themselves gain my PW and accessed my account. I am not laying blame on hacking or trickery quite yet, and am wondering if an app on the phone uses some Moto server to route access for something.

Can anyone shed some light on it as this is the first time or three manufactures that I have seen access violations from.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

I've been in and out of gmail (phone/computer) and have never seen this before. Hope you get to the bottom of it.
  3. whttigress

whttigress Member

I have had the same thing twice since getting my photon. Not sure what is doing it yet.

-edit I just noticed yours was from California... both of mine were in Florida.
  4. Razgriz

Razgriz Member

It does have an accounts app on the phone...
  5. whttigress

whttigress Member

So it looks like it is the picasa app account. I figured it was one of them, but there are several that link to gmail.
  6. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

Yeah I had the same thing pop up on day 1. When I found out it was related to setting up the P4g, I stopped looking into it.
  7. JackG058

JackG058 Well-Known Member

I'll follow with interest. This isn't a Blackberry so we shouldn't be going through Moto's servers for email.

edit: Well, I posted without refreshing my screen, so I see a solution. Glad to hear we're not being snooped on by Moto. Oh, and I'm loving this Photon. Pictures of the phone don't do it justice. It's a beauty!
  8. reddragon72

Ok a couple things here. One the FL that Google posts is false and the my OP is the correct location of Moto.

I called moto support and was told that if any of the instant upload's(picasa, youtube etc) are used that it does an initial run through a moto server for a link check, but it does not log your UN, and PW as those are transmitted with encryption. Once that is verified VIA the through link in moto servers there should not be any more connections.

It took me 4 people to finally get to that response. It does make total sense because when I went to San Antonio the hotels wifi triggered it since I was logging in from a non patterned IP set. I love that Google watches over that and they are the only ones that do. So for now it seems legit, but I will be keeping an eye on it very closely.
    Glod and ScandaLeX like this.
  9. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Glad you at least rec'd an answer. So my question for you (or anyone who knows)- if we *upload* via picasa, youtube, etc...we'll receive this same message or is it simply due to using wifi that hadn't been connected to before?

So far the wifi I've connected to have been my own.
  10. reddragon72

You misunderstood. There is extra functions that only Moto has that allows auto upload of pictures and video. This can be to Picasa, Youtube, Facebook and a couple others. This is not a function of the Android OS. so what happens is when you setup auto upload, I setup Picasa, via Moto's extra feature it first goes through there server(proxy). This in turn caused my account to appear to be accessed by Moto because the request came from Moto's IP and not my standard local IP's that Google watches for. So I'm not on a Moto WIFI, but actually on my own WIFI but the proxy server is Moto's. They said it is only a one time thing.... supposedly.