Gmail - Best via Gmail app or via main mail config??Support

Last Updated:

1. guitareth

guitareth Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 4, 2010
    Awaiting my replacement for my Desire after first one returned due to faulty speaker. Hope to get my replacement in next 2 days :)

Meanwhile, as I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 on my PC to access my emails from my domain mail account (POP3) most of the time, I was previously unsure how best to configure/sync my emails on my Desire. From other recommendations on this forum, I reached the conclusion it was best to configure my GMail account to also pull in mail from my domain POP3 account, and then just check my mail via GMail on the Desire. However, when I get my new phone, I am now wondering what is the BEST way to actually configure GMail on the HTC Desire?

On the wizard that appears when you first start up the phone, it asks you to enter your email account settings. I could enter the settings for my GMail account there, and I assume it would then check/use my Gmail account via the Desire's own main email app.

Is it better for any reason to just bypass the settings for the Desire's main mail app, and instead just configure and access my GMail via the Desire's own GMAil app?

AND... if choose the latter option, will the phone's email notification system still automatically alert me to new emails, or do I need to reconfigure something to make it do that?

AND... Will the phone's standard email/messages shortcut option automatically link to the GMail app, and if not, is there a way to force it to link to that?

I'd appreciate recommendations for best way to proceed with this as it may save me setting it up one way and then deciding after some time that I'm better using a different method!!;)

2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

May 25, 2010
    When you add the email address at set up, this adds it to the GMAIL app. This is the best way to do it. Gmail has it's own Icon, which notifies etc

I have the Stock email app configured also as originally with gmail, I couldn't download all attachments. So I would refresh the other mail app to download them

However, there is an app called Blackmoon attachment save which will solve this issue

If you do bypass putting your email address in at settings, you cannot use the market.

The set up is not a HTC set up, rather it is an android set up.