Gmail ChatSupport

Last Updated:

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new with my Droid X. How do I display Gmail chat?

Apparently, friends can see that I'm logged onto my Gmail and message me, which pops up like a text message. But I can't figure out how to see whose online or start a conversation.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

If it really is Google Talk, just click on the "Talk" app and you'll be in the right app. Once there, if you're in a chat you'll have to hit your phone's back button to see your friends.

3. fviskovi

fviskovi New Member

So to find Gmail Chat on a Droid you look for TALK. Nice. Who was the genius who came up with this idea? Does anyone in the Internet/Web/IT community have any freakin' common sense !!!! How about labeling the app "Gmail Chat" or at least "Chat." Brutal !!! :mad:

4. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

I would assume that it's because the actual Google application is "Google Talk". It's the original standalone app for PCs. Think of it as the equivalent of the AIM client. Now that they have it built into the GMail web client it's labelled as "Chat" for some reason.

Since the Talk client also supports voice and video now, and hopefully the Android client will sooner or later (does in Honeycomb) they probably wanted to imply that it does more than just chat.

Hey it's a stretch, but at least the name is based on their original application.