Gmail doesn't sync all emailSupport

Last Updated:

1. DomP01

DomP01 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a regular gmail account setup, and it seems that there are roughly 10 emails sitting in my inbox from yesterday that were sent from 1pm-6pm. These were never sent to my device. What causes this issue?

Oh, and this issue is on my Droid X.

Advertisement
  2. android2dev

android2dev Active Member

Do not have much in the way of an explanation but I too have experienced some "inefficiencies" with mail syncing. I am surprised by this because the mail application on my G1 never had these problems.

I am going to go out on a limb and someone else can correct me where I am wrong. I believe some of the application issue with this build of Android are directly related to the fact that we are on a CDMA network. On a GSM network the connection is always available and therefore you do not have the available/unavailable (data connection) that the applications here have to deal with.

For instance, I just recently noticed that when I am connected to a wireless network and the screen turns off (times out) and then I turn the screen back on I can see the wireless re-establish a connection. Now if the mail client is set up to only sync so often and it happens to attempt a sync when the connection is temporarily unavailable it may "miss" and wait until the next check is required.

I was very interested to see how applications would perform in this on again off again data connection environment. As a phone call comes in the data connection is again either killed or deferred until the call is complete (CDMA).

My phone failed to sync one mail account until I restarted the phone then the sync was successful. This led me to believe that the background process was hung and unable to establish/complete the sync. Anyway, something to keep an eye on.