Gmail email notification delaySupport

Last Updated:

1. tagta3

tagta3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone, I just swapped my htc hero last night with another one that had the "with google" logo on the back thinking it would let me get Rev.A but it turns out it was manufactured 9/26/09 and it still says Rev.0. Anyways, the first htc hero I had would instantly notify my of new Gmail email, sometimes even before Gmail inbox on my PC would get it, so it was instantaneous, but this new one has like a minute or 2 delay. Is anyone getting this? what are your delays like? Did I just swap my phone for a defective one? Someone please comment. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

I consider you lucky that atleast your getting your email. I think its a software problem more then anything. I have my settings for my work email and gmail set correctly and i dont even get my email for like 20 mins plus and i have to force it to see if i have anything. Are you getting them and then getting notify later or does it take awhile like mines to get your email. I am going to exchange cus i need my work email and that true push and i dont even get it. Its a software problem and you should exchange like me.

3. tagta3

Well what happens is this: If I send myself a test email to my gmail, my computer will get it right away, but the phone won't get it or notify me until a couple of minutes. I just exchanged my hero last night for another one and the new one is not instantly notifying me, the old one did...

4. tagta3

Can someone else verify this please?

5. Aldo Junior Ao2

But i mean you are getting it all your emails like if you send yourself one you will get it within two mins correct. I have sent myself atleast 40 test emails and i am lucky if i get one within ten mins, put it like this i sent myself an email at 8:37am and i just got it three mins ago. . I wish someone knew the problem so we dont have to return it. Anyone who knows the soultion please give an answer please. :eek: :D :p

6. tagta3

OK now it stopped working, it is taking a very long time if at all to notify me? I already went to settings->manage applications-> GMail-> clear data. It didn't fix the problem. What I realized is when I go to settings->data synchronization->Google, sometimes I see the sync icon next to gmail and it is not rotating, as if it is stuck, then once I uncheck and check autosync, it detects the new email, but only because I basically told it to. This absolutely sucks, I wish I didn't exchange it last night, the other one was working fine.

7. tagta3

Anyone else getting these symptoms, or is everyone getting instant notifcation? I'd like to know before I exchange it again.

8. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

no man
    :(

email is instant - slight delay w/ contacts and calendar but otherwise data is fast

you're talking about your main gmail acct right? the one you initially registered with to start teh phone up? that's the acct that's "integrated" or whatever - that should be the fastest

i feel sorry for you man

9. tagta3

Yes this is the google account I set the phone up with. I'm such an idiot for exchanging it last night thinking I could get a "with google" phone so i could get rev.A speed. I'm at rev0 and my gmail doesn't sync right? It takes like 3-4 minutes? Should it be faster than that? My first hero was instant...

10. HTCDroid

HTCDroid Member

I gotta ask...you are using the Gmail app and not the HTC Mail app, right?

11. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

The Rev.0 vs. Rev.A thing is just a bug in the status reporting of the phone, not the actual usage...the actual protocol you're using is Rev.A so don't worry about that.

20 minutes to get your GMail? That's not correct at all. All of your Google synchronized items should be next to instantaneous--GMail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts.

Aside from clearing the cache of GMail, try this: Turn off Google Sync; clear GMail Storage AND GMail; Turn on Google Sync. You should be back in business.

If you're using WiFi, I have noticed the push sync isn't reliable. If you stay on mobile data network, it's rock solid.

12. tagta3

I cleared GMail and Gmail Storage and autosync is on for google, and always-on network is enabled. It is averaging 2-3 minutes for each email, should I exchange the phone or is this normal? The other phone I had yesterday was instant. What should I do, return it or no?

13. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I think that before you return it, you should do the dreaded factory reset. I know that is a last resort type of thing, but honestly, it corrects a lot of issues.

If the sync. does not end up to be instantaneous after this, exchange it for a different one.

14. tagta3

I already did a factory reset last night when i picked it up, because I noticed the issue right away. It did NOT correct the problem. I'm exchanging it again and if they give me a problem or try to charge me a restocking fee I'll cancel my account with them under the 30-day policy. I'm tired of this *hit

15. Aldo Junior Ao2

Buddy i have done this three times and after running the setup like normal i end up with the same thing its like gmail goes whenever i want to sync and grab your email i will. The only thing that is half reliable is my exchange using roadsync which is instant from time to time or fie min delay. i am getting my new one tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and ill let everyone know what happens tomorrow.

16. tagta3

What about when you guys delete an email on the phone in the Gmail app, how long does it take for it to show the deletion on your pc gmail inbox, is that instant too? mine is taking about 4-5 mins on that.

17. tagta3

So should I return the phone or not? I've sent 48 test emails and they are averaging 2 - 4 minutes until the phone notifies me...exchange it?

18. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Sure, exchange it while you can. If you don't, it's always going to bother you until you try a different one.

19. tagta3

OK, I exchanged the phone with another one, I still have the same problem, there is a 5 minute delay. Do you think I have to call sprint because there is some setting to change on my account or something when they switched phones? It's probably just network being slow...?

20. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

I just tested mine by sending myself an email. It took almost no time at all (like seconds) to be pushed to the phone. By comparison, 5 minutes seems like a long time to wait, but in reality, is it really THAT big a deal?

Maybe to you it is. I on the other hand could live with the 2-5 min delay that you were complaining about. I generally dont give out my gmail addy with the idea someone is going to send me some urgent, respond immediately type email. If its that urgent, they can call me.

Ultimately, you have to figure out if this is something you can live with or not. I dont believe returning the phone is going to net you better results since 2 of the 3 phones you have owned have behaved this way. Perhaps its the area you are in? Have you tried it out in different locations?

21. tagta3

The first phone (manufacture date 9-11-09) was instant, second phone (manufacture date 9-26-09) was delayed, and the third phone (manufacture date 10-2-09) was also delayed, it must be my area right? Maybe it was a coincidence it was instant with the first one.

22. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Thats what Im wondering. Did you test all three phones in the same area? Were you riding a different tower? What time was it? There could be a number or reasons why you dont got them instantly on one phone and not the others. It could even be something with the phones. Were both the new ones branded "w/ Google"?

23. tagta3

The first one that was instant notification did NOT have the with google logo, the last two do have the logo and have the delay. But I really don't think that is it, it must be the towers and congestion.

24. tagta3

Ok I've been testing it all day. What is happening is that autosync won't turn on when the phone is in sleep mode even though always-on mobile network feature is enabled. Even the previous hero I exchanged it with did not autosync with the phone in sleep mode. I already tried clearing gmail and flailing storage and factory reset. Still no go. I bet I returned the phone last night for no good reason. It must be a software glitch. As soon as I wake up the phone and open the gmail app and close it then it tries to autosync after closing it!?

25. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

Damn Just started happening to me. usually i get gmail emails within seconds. after reading this i decided to test it out again and i am still waiting on emails that i sent 10 min ago. luckily my exchange email comes instantly. i have never had the box next to always-on network checked. it must me a software issue that causes the sync to get stuck. i was getting instant gmail all day until just now.
    just ran a few tests and my calendar and contacts sync fast but my email still isnt syncing fast.
    looks to be a problem with gmail server and not the phone IMHO. the thing that confused me at first was the new mail notification was separate from my gmail mailbox on the phone. it took me a minute to realize that when i get the new notification that it doesnt update my gmail inbox. im still not sure why they do it that way. anyway hope this gets sorted soon.
    I decided to try a factory reset and still the same delay.