Gmail/ everything spell checkSupport

Last Updated:

1. Grecho

Grecho Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I cant find a gmail spell check anywhere. Are they out there? does anyone have recommendations? If it also had web/txt spell checking that would be ideal also but my main concern is email spell checking.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

never seen one.

as for text, I always misspell words.. helps save on the 160 character limit :)

3. Grecho

Its not so much texting I care about, email is my main concern, its kind of pointless to write an email that I can't send because I can't check it for spelling errors that I might have missed, currently I will save as a draft and then run spell check on my computer, which makes using my phone pointless...

4. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

i have a signature for my Droid that says "Sent from a mobile device" (i hate the ones that say sent from my iPhone/Droid/etc.). that way, i hope people will at least be more forgiving of typos. i know, not the solution you're looking for ;)

5. Grecho

haha thanks gorilla, i was pretty much thinking the same thing.... im surprised there arent more people with the same concern or looking for this.... do blackberries have this feature?

6. RFclipse

RFclipse Active Member

Yes, spell check is an option (at least for email) on all Blackberry devices. I recently switched from the BB Storm 1 to the Incredible, which is why I found myself searching this forum for a way to activate the spell checker...

I'm also surprised that there aren't more people asking about this feature. It's a lot harder to go without once you've already become accustomed to using it.

7. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

Is jus spel gooder so its a moote piont.

8. TheJohnMatrix

TheJohnMatrix New Member

Yea BlackBerry allows you to spell check any field on the phone. From Text messages to Facebook posts.

This is the only feature that is holding me back from getting an Android phone.

In fact I got the droid and returned it a few days later because of this. You ether learn to spell in fourth grade or you don't. I didnt.

I really dont understand how they could not have this as an option and why it has not been addressed.

9. Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers Member

I just got an EVO and discovered the absence of a spelling checker. BlackBerry has had this for a long time. What gives? I cant even find any third party apps that will work with Gmail on Android 2.1. This sucks.

10. lserve

lserve New Member

There are some apps on the market the help (see ABC Spell Checker), but you have to copy and paste into the email. Not sure why its taking G so long to add this to the GMail app.

11. rwclayton

rwclayton New Member

To the Android development team at Google: can you please respond to this thread, and please explain why a spell check feature was not included with the gmail application from the begining; first release of Android? I find it hard to believe that the ability to have auto-spell checking in the gmail app was not seen as a must have feature. I don't know of any other smart phone email apps that haven't always had a spell check feature since their first release. Spell check has been a common feature, for many years, in pretty much any app where typing text is involved. Please respond, please tell us why there is no spell check feature built into the Android gmail app.

Thank you,

rwclayton

td182b likes this.
  12. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Dear Mister rwclayton -

Thank you for your feedback. However, since you have not figured it out yet, the simple fact is that we really don't care what you think or what you need. We will give you what we think you need and you will accept it. In this case, get yourself a dictionary, learn how to spell, or better yet - pay attention to the auto spell checker bar right above the keyboard that suggests correctly spelled words.

Respectfully,
    The Google Dev Team

:)

13. ksjeffries

ksjeffries New Member

Hi, I hope all is going great and your are very happy in the path you have chosen to go down in your life! Anyway, I was just doing some research on why there is no spelling/ grammatical checking apps or tool or something you can download to my droid, well I came across this post of a guy asking if anyone knew of anything at all, you were the first to comment or" reply to this quote" as it is described in the site and in the p.p. agreement that you have to check inorder to initiate and start the regulation form/ page. Anyway my curiosity. Has just a couple short and quick questions for you, #1 do you have a droid? If so what model/carrier do you currently have?
    #2. If you do have a droid i'm very curious to find out your model/ wireless carrier are? My reason for asking this is my 4th or 5th different Droids I have had I wanna say all of the models atleast once since they came out. I made a mistake of going from a Droid. Back a different blackberry then I had in the past so I got a storm 2! Ok this phone does have its pros and cons just as everything you see, do, touch, buy, rent, etc, etc. Everything everyone does everyday from waking up in the morning you have your first pros/cons ......so your all comfy, cozy, warm, and just snuggling up with your boy/girlfriend, wife or husband and the alarm has been snoozed 3 times in the past 30 minutes and you have a huge presentation to give to your company 's top 5 clients (each of these 5 clients are worth multi-billions and have invented several tens- hundreds of millions of dollars to your firm and you are their agent/representative so let's say your cut is 10% could imagine what kind of money you would be bringing home this is on top of your let's say 14.275 million dollar salary, so you would really be raking in the cash and if you were smart you have couple million or even 100,000 at the minimum in high interest savings accounts, C.D.'s just stash cash i mean the real paper cash in everyplace you could find for example, when I was 16 just started driving, and been working at my current job at that time, so I had some cash laying around first of all I had well over 20k saved up so I took half of that and paid cash for my very first brand new mitshubishi eclipse gt um I think. Its was a gtp (I really can't remember the model I just know it was the top of line eclipse, sunroof, turbo everything you could imagine well for back in 1996 that is! I took 1/4 of that remainder which was still alot for a 16 year old high school student to have I. Cash in their hands living in south Florida (plantation, then Coral Springs, these 2 cities are the suburbs/ outlaying areas of the beautifully, gorgeous Ft. Lauderdale in the heart of browsed county south Florida. Which is just a 10-25 minutes to southbeach,Miami! O so very gorgeous! Have you ever been there? Where is it that u do live? Im in northwest Ohio, literally a 5 minute drive from my house to the Michigan/ Ohio state lines. And o about 45-60 minutes east of the Ohio/Indiana lines (could get there alot quicker if# 1 my hubby would let me drive, and# 2 know the traffic and type of traffic that will be traveling the major connections between the 2 cities/states o by this I mean you could take 24 all the way from one end of downtown major city and goes all the way into Ft. Wayne, Indiana and this stretch of highway has multiple, lane swifts, amount of lanes can jump from 2 lanes highway the immediately increase to a 4, or even 6 lane highway! It is a very beautiful scenic route as if goes all along the Ohio river and it is just absolutely a beautiful sight, we would take the kids over the for the day you can pick a different city/ town and which park and what activities you and ur significant other, maybe kids, or friends whoever is with you will have just an amazing time. I can go back into that later! Anyways my blackberry I had had some cons and pros ok wow did I ever get off the Subject that I had originally started on. I am so sorry I do ramble quite? Often lately I think its because I have so many things going on at once and being pulled in 18000 different directions because everyone know I wont say no ( I guess im just to nice of a person and to giving at times) o well ok this is what I'm going to do im going to stop my talking and send this before I just keep going on and on. The main reasons I want to know your model/carrier is because I think it is absolutely crazy that you can only write an 160 character text, I died that and I can write as long of a text as I want (this drives my husband so crazy at times as he puts it"you just sent me another story book, or a novel or he will say something like this in his gruntled. Deep mans voice. " OMG! Woman, u r driving me nuts" ) o well. Well maybe you could introduce me to somepeople you know on this forum and even yourself, I am basically looking for a few people to show me around on this site (im such a wiz at navigating websites, I know how to find things I need or just looking for, I love to do research, I could just do that allday long, and I am looking for a few people that would be emailing buddies. cash it co.'s

14. bandanajack

bandanajack Member

i'm with this guy. while i can't get too bent about writing business letters on a phone, even a smart phone, i am writing on an eepad with its own keyboard, the asus to be specific. it is, of necessity, replacing my laptop for the time being. my spelling is above average, but i can't say the same for my typing.

wouldn't you think by the time android got to honeycomb 3.2 they could have resolved this?

15. MaryMR

MaryMR Member

I spell very well so this is not a major issue for me, however, accidentally tapping the incorrect letter on the keyboard is a problem.

Go to Settings>Language and Keyboard> then select the keyboard you use; in my case there is Android or Samsung. Tap the keyboard you use and you will find the option "Touch to correct words" (Android) or "XT9 Predictive Text" (Samsung). Tap to select if not already highlighted. As with all auto-correct options always re-check your text before sending. During the three years that I had an iPhone I finally had to turn the auto-correct feature off as it added in words that were not what I wanted but because I did not specifically de-select them they made it through, sometimes to my embarrassment.

Every time you type anywhere you will be presented with suggested words as you type; if the word highlighted is what you want in the email, just tap the word, if not, keep typing. I turned it off because I prefer to just check it myself before sending, or if long and involved, play it safe and save a draft and do a formal spell check when I'm at my laptop or in the office.

I also recommend downloading the free User Manual for your model from your carrier's web site. It has been invaluable to me.

Mary
    Using a brand new Samsung Galaxy S II (AT&T) - AKA the 'Speed Demon' :D

16. Anthonycs

Anthonycs New Member

Good news for at least one part of this. The signature "Sent from a mobile device" can be changed or removed through your email settings

Android.
    The newest version of gmail does not default with a signature. But if you want to add or change the signature, follow steps below.

Gmail:

• open your gmail application
    • tap menu
    • tap settings
    • tap desired account
    • scroll to signature
    • change or add signature

Generic email - does have that built in from device signature

• Open email application
    • Tap Menu
    • Tap More
    • Tap Account Settings
    • Scroll to Signature settings
    • Check or uncheck "Add Signature"
    • Tap "Signature" to change what the signature says

Iphone

• Open Settings
    • Open "Mail,Contacts and Calendars"
    • Scroll to mail options
    • Tap Signature
    • Edit as desired

17. Anthonycs

Anthonycs New Member

to avoid needing home computer
    the generic email application does, at least on samsung, have the ability to spell check under compose message>menu>spell check

If yours does not, there are note applications that allow for spell check as well as sms applications like go sms that have a spell check function.