GMail / Googlemail warning

Last Updated:

1. ALES

ALES Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

Have been having problems with my phone over the last week - battery life down to 10hrs rather than 1-2 days and then I noticed the marketplace was not letting me update or download apps.

After a lot of head scratching and swearing I realised that it is because I took up the google offer to switch my Googlemail address to GMail.

Turns out that the handset is tied to the exact google account it was set up with so even though google knows my googlemail/gmail address are the same thing the phone does not (without a complete reset and set up of the phone).

Now I have switched my email back to googlemail all is fine - although I seem to have lost my calendar! (anyone know how to get this back on the phone?)

ALES

Advertisement
  2. Xavier

Xavier Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem but the only thing I couldn't access was gtalk on the handset... Wiped the phone and restored and it's working fine now

3. mw1987

mw1987 New Member

HELP - I am having the same problem, recently changed from googlemail to gmail, now my emails aren't coming through and my battery is draining really quickly. I want to keep my email address as @gmail.com, and I don't want to have to completely reset the phone and lose everything, surely there is a way to change your google signin details?! Thanks!

4. Xavier

Xavier Well-Known Member

I don't think so mate.. As the account you have logged in is the default account of which you have set up on your device, it is required to keep records of contacts, apps downloaded ect...

5. mw1987

mw1987 New Member

So what happens when I do a complete reset, do i lose absolutely everything, including contacts?l

6. Xavier

Xavier Well-Known Member

If you have 'contact sync' ticked in your gmail account settings, no.. as they will be backed up to your gmail contacts account. :)

7. messyhead

messyhead Well-Known Member

I had a @googlemail.com account linked to my Hero and everything worked fine (Market, Mail etc). I wanted a new @gmail.com account, so as I didn't use the @googlemail.com one, I deleted it. Then set up a new @gmail.com account. So I cleared the cache for the google apps on my Hero so that the old account wasn't linked any more, but now when I try to sign in with the new @gmail.com account, I always get an error about connecting to the servers. I've tried it on multiple occasions on different conenctions including my home Wifi.

Any way to fix this?

8. ALES

ALES Member This Topic's Starter

As I understand the only way to clear the original google account the phone is linked to is to do a factory reset.

Clearing the apps data/cache does not go deep enough to get this.

Either reactivate your original google account - once done you can still access email from other accounts - or reset the phone

9. messyhead

messyhead Well-Known Member

10. Xavier

Xavier Well-Known Member

Cheers for this messyhead.. very useful!