• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail is breaking down my sent emails - Help!

macrae

Lurker
May 27, 2010
Hi All! I am a newbie and somewhat technologically challenged...:eek:

I just switched from a G1 to a Desire a little over 24 hours ago and the same issue I had with my G1 email, I'm now having with the brand-stinking new Desire!

T-mobile store and technical dept don't have any answers for me as they have never heard of my problem. Perhaps someone here has a solution?

Often, when I send an email from my mac, and sometimes from the phone, the recipient receives just the one, normal, email. However, usually when I get a response, my gmail (usually only on the mobile) breaks it down 2, 3, 4 and I've seen longer emails broken down over 15 times. As I'm not clear if this makes sense, as an example:

(me) Hey Sam, do you want to go to the cinema Friday night?
(Sam) Coolio, let's meet at Cafe Nero.

When it breaks down on my end, it then looks like this:

(me) Hey
(me) Hey Sam,
(me) do you want
(me) Hey Sam, do you want to

...well, you get the picture.

It's flipping annoying me even more so as the local Apple store, T-Mobile (2 location), T-Mobile tech support have never seen this and I can't seem to google it the right way to see if anyone else in the world has had this happen to them and what the solution was.

Any takers as to how to solve this problem so the beautiful new phone doesn't get stomped on and/or I change email servers?

Many thanks in advance,
Kelley

(and if for the love of all good things someone has an answer sooner rather than later, don't think I'm being rude when I don't respond right away in gratitude...off for a long weekend)

OK, I think I know what you are saying, but again, I'm not technical so bear with me!

My gmail account says IMAP is enabled but I'm not sure I ever configured it for my macbook pro (snow leopard), I just followed the set-up procedure automatically.

Why save the drafts locally? How do you do what you are saying? Is that why it is breaking it down?

I'm pretty sure I was having this problem before I got the macbook when I had the G1.

Any further help you can provide would be appreciated. I need to scoot but will check back Tuesday.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
I would imagine that the multiple messages are different stages of drafts being saved. I'm not too familiar with macs or apple mail, but there should be a setting to turn off drafts, or have them saved to somewhere other than where they're being saved to at the minute. I would guess that they're being saved somewhere which is causing the problem, and making a change to that could fix it.

Personally, I found gmail really hard to use on both Thunderbird and outlook with IMAP, so I settled for pop settings...so my IMAP advice might be worth ignoring.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones