GMail Is Your Best Bet To Sync Your Contacts List.Tips

Last Updated:

1. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned This Topic's Starter

A LITTLE TIP: I notice many asking this question lately. If you don't have a GMail account just make one and sync your contacts to it. You can also type your contacts in over your computer and as soon as you set up your GMail e mail account in your EVO they will all transfer over like magic. If you like your contacts last name first make sure they appear that way on the GMail contact list or they will be put to your phone alphabetized by the first names. I list mine like this Jones, Bob then they will come up on the handset last name first. If they happen to appear first name first and you want them by last name don't fret just go to your computer and change them one by one to the format Jones, Bob and they will change on the phone automatically when done.

Advertisement
  2. texasez

texasez Member

When you say that you can type in the contacts on your computer, are you saying that you can type into google mail or can you sync by typing into ms outlook? I can sync calender from outlook to google but not contacts.

3. EvoFrick

EvoFrick Active Member

I am pretty sure they are talking about your gmail contacts. Because the guy at best buy did ask me if i had a gmail account. My question is obviously i have like 522 Contacts just from everyone who has ever messaged me. But under My Contacts I have 0.

If i was going to set this up would i add these people to My Contacts tab and if so when i sync it with my phone please tell me thats the only ones it will add. I dont need 500 Random email addresses in my phone.

4. BetterMost

Yes your GMail contacts list. When you open a gmail account it has its own built in contacts list that you can create and or edit right from your regular computer. This list will then be automatically ported to your phone as your contacts list once the gmail account is set up in your phone. Once set up as you edit on your computer your contacts list will update in real time right to your phone its pretty neat. If there are contacts you dont want you simply check them and hit delete contacts and they will be purged from your list on the computer and the phone in one simple operation.

5. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

You'll really want to take some time to clean up your contacts on your GMail account. Note that you can create groups and put contacts into 1 or more groups, to help keep them organized. Group designations will all import into the Evo just fine.

6. S00NR1

S00NR1 Well-Known Member

Is there any shortcut transferring contacts from a Blackberry to the Evo?

7. entiel

entiel Member

GMail is a great tool for organizing your contacts for the EVO. I synced my Windows6.1 phone contacts to GMail. Then I imported my Hotmail contacts into GMail. Finally I merged the phone numbers with the email addresses where names duplicated. Now I have a master list ready to port over to my EVO. :D

A word of caution:
    (1) Back up your phone contacts before syncing

(2) Set sync settings to initially make changes on server when there's conflicting data. I accidentally wiped out my phone contacts doing my fist sync.

8. BetterMost

Just that when I did this between my Storm2 and GMail Gmail turned all my last name first contacts to first name first and there was no way to fix this other than me manually going into GMail and reversing every contact name one by one. It did change it on the phone for me once I was finished automatically.

9. Buddha Guides Me

Buddha Guides Me New Member

Is there "google sync" for the Evo? This app syncs both my google contacts and calender to my blackberry now. Also syncs from my phone to my online google account

10. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

Android is closely integrated to your gmail account so your contacts/calendar automatically sync.

And for those who need to get their contacts from someplace else into their gmail contacts, you can do an export from Outlook or your original source then import them into gmail: Importing contacts by CSV - Gmail Help

11. robertdahlgren

robertdahlgren Active Member

I am currently 2-way syncing between:
    htc evo (android built-in sync to gmail)
    gmail account (the base)
    outlook (gsyncit)
    blackberry curve (google sync)
    blackberry bold (google sync)
    motorola droid (android built-in sync to gmail)

An update on any of those devices syncs around to all the others.

It would be free except I need gsyncit ($15) to get the outlook 2-way sync working all the time for calendar but this way I get contacts, memos and tasks synced there also. I previously used the google sync for outlook to get just contacts in and out and that worked fine if you just want contacts and not calendar.

12. v01rider

v01rider Well-Known Member

13. Kazrell

Kazrell Well-Known Member

caller ID photo's? Anyone know if they're synced with the photos in your Gmail contacts?

14. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

These contacts threads are making me very nervous... Is the Sprint store not gonna be able to transfer my contacts from my Pre to my Evo???

15. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a spot to put a photo for someone in your gmail contacts.

Wubbie, even if the Sprint store can't do it, just export your contacts from your pre and import them into gmail yourself.

16. EvoFrick

EvoFrick Active Member

ok This somewhat answered my questions. So your basically telling me all say 540 random contacts if i havent cleaned them up will automatically goto my phone? U know how gmail has like My Contacts () Friends Work Family all the diff tabs. Could i tell my phone to only transfer Friends and not the random email addys as i obviously dont want my gmail email addys on my phone when gmail keeps track of them by themselves.

17. Jimmy Burns

Jimmy Burns Member

Can I get some help here? I've setup my gmail account on my EVO, but it hasn't synched my contacts, I've got nothing there. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?

Nevermind, I got it. Just took a little screwing around with the phone to get it.

18. jami

jami Member

I have set up my Gmail account also and have the correct contacts in it. Now what do i have to do to get my EVO to sync? I do not even know where to look for my contacts on the phone.

19. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

eh im kind of lost here or i am doing something wrong.

so i uploaded my contacts to my gmail.

I go into contacts in my gmail but yet i dont see any of my phone numbers?

20. wayne8888

wayne8888 Member

I believe you go from home screen you click (I should say tap....I'm a blackberry Storm/Storm2 refugee).....anyway tap "Menu" then tap "Settings" and then "Accounts and Sync" and then tap "Add account" (if it is not already there since you already have gmail setup) and then you tap "Sync/Sync All" (you can choose to sync automatically or manual from here on out).

I was already using google sync with B'berry Storm (piece of !@##$%) and Storm2 (love it but not like I love Evo).
    Wayne

21. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

so basicly i have to enter my phones contact list in "my contacts" in order for this to work?

22. hayj

hayj Well-Known Member

They couldn't for me, nor could BB, and they use different machine. They tried importing my Sim contacts (even directly from the sim) and from my phonebook with no luck. I'm coming from AT&T and had a Fuze. They said the problem was with the Fuze. Now I'm faced with exporting to a desktop application and then importing to the EVO. I've considered manually entering them into gmail and using that time to clean up my contacts. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions to make this as painless as possible.

23. jlove

jlove New Member

Ok, I switched from a Palm Pre to HTC EVO and never had anything sync'd to a gmail account so I set up a new gmail account and set up my EVO to sync my contacts to that account, however, after running a sync none of my contacts are showing up in Gmail. I was under the impression that EVO would dump all my contacts into Gmail, am I missing something here ?

24. Notalent

Notalent New Member

Cleaning up your contacts in Gmail is quick and painless. Setting up your groups is as easy as selecting the contacts in that group and adding them to the new group. Obviously doing all of this on your lap/desktop is much faster than on the phone.

25. hayj

hayj Well-Known Member

Problem solved. I updated windows with the Fuze plugged in and installed the mobile center which I will now uninstall. From there I just imported the contacts to Outlook and exported to a cvs file. Finally imported them to gmail and they're on my phone. I put them in a separate group so I can clean everything up and combine contacts.