Gmail issue

Last Updated:

1. FauxShizzle4

FauxShizzle4 New Member This Topic's Starter

So when I bought my Droid I didnt have a Gmail account set up. So the Verizon rep took it upon herself to set one up for me. The problem is she didnt tell me the password or the email address she associated with the acct. So when install a custom rom I don't know my password or anything to get in my Gmail acct. to sync everything. As of now I can still access it on my phone, unfortunately Google doesnt have actual support in their forums or anyone I can talk too, so I am wondering if there is perhaps a backdoor way I can access the stored password on my phone? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Honestly, your best bet (since you dont use that gmail) would be just create a new gmail.

Sorry this happened. Ive seen this several times before.

3. FauxShizzle4

I dont care about the Google acct at all, but I have to buy all my paid apps again if I go through another acct. I am not going to spend $30 on slingplayer twice. Plus all my contacts are synced to that acct. I find it absolutely amazing Google offers no help what so ever in this situation. I have been trying to figure this out since last night only stopping to sleep and have nothing more than when I started. Even small companies have people for support. Unbelievable!

4. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

5. FauxShizzle4

Yes I have already spent the last 36 hours trying everything possible to get the password for this acct. All I have is the email address, no username, or secondary email acct. I was hoping maybe some one could find where the password is stored within the phone through Root Explorer being I still have access to the acct through my phone or something but no dice so far.

6. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

The password is ONLY stored on Google's servers. Root access does not help you there.

Your username is the email address. (for google)

Here's a thought, when you purchased something thru the market, what shows up on your bank account. Perhaps more information?? Because it uses Google Checkout, maybe something with detail would show up? Im at work, so i cannot view my bank account information to verify for myself.

7. FauxShizzle4

Good thought, I appreciate it mostly because I didnt think to look there. But unfortunately there was nothing useful there. I wish I could log into my Googlecheckout with my cc# or something. That would be useful. Anything else you can think of though I am all ears.

8. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

If something comes to me, i'll update you. But for now, thats all i have to offer my friend.

9. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

I don't know what you've already tried for a password, but has one of them been your (cell or home) phone number or the primary account holder's phone number?

If those don't work, I guess the next thing to do would be to contact the verizon store you went to, and either speak to the rep that set it up or ask if there is a standard password they assign when they set up accounts.

Oh and one final thought: did you check your receipts for the password? I've had reps write down info on the back of my receipts a few different times before.

Best of luck!

10. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

If she set it up, she also has access to your email account. This fact alone should be reason enough to get another account.

I am not an expert, but I am not sure what would be better: set up another account and ignore the first one, or factory reset your phone and start over.

On my Zio, a reset clears everything and you must setup a new account or use one you know is safe.

NOT an expert and I am sure there are better ways.

Bob

11. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

However, getting another account is invalidated by the OP's second post, which states that he has purchased apps using that same account. App purchases cannot be transferred (trust me, I have 3 Gmail accounts, and I want to associated my domain email with my phone as my primary, but my apps are purchased via another account, and I am not about to lose $90+ worth of apps just so I can change my account). I have searched high and low, and right now Google is not budging on this issue....

A simple password change would be sufficient - once that is accomplished, you can also change the backup email address, security question, etc. from inside the account online and thre is no way she would have access to it anymore.

12. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

did you go to www.googlecheckout.com ?
    Can't access your account?
    on the screen it shows a backup email if you have it setup, or I no longer have access to this.
    clicking no access takes you to a "contact us" page.

any luck there?

13. Krisis

Krisis Member

If you can restore a nandroid with the account on it, you can determine your account name using gmail or accounts, then reset your password via the google website. The account *may* have a recovery email address entered, but it likely does not. If you submit a ticket to the google account team, they may be able to help you. Had a friend who had the same thing happen, but he wanted to keep all of the info for both accounts onto a single account, only one of which he knew the password to or could recover. The best thing to do is to stick with the account that has paid apps attached to it.