• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail/mail app force password???

Allo again, i have 2 questions:

1) I have been using the gmail app that came with my hero,and was wondering,
is there anyway I can FORCE a password/login page?

I am a little iffy about someone else having the opportunity to view my personal email quite easily just by clicking the app.

2) I was playing around with the Mail app that came with my hero and logged in to my gmail, so now anytime I click on the mail widget,it immediately pulls up my gmail.

Is there anyway to dis-associate my gmail with the Mail app?
I tried going under settings> applications> manage applications> Mail,
but alas, I couldn't find a way to erase the info.

Thank you! :)

-B

I would like to know these answers as well. I have another problem in that my oldest got to my wifes phone first and entered his gmail info. Now all the notifications come from is email account to her phone. Even after I added her account and deleted his. I guess cause he entered his first then thats the default. Which I also looked into changing. It is checked as the default on the mail Icon on the home page. Not on the gmail app on the apps page. But not bold so I cant change it. I set up lattitude on google maps as well and I have to look at his profile to see her location. Is there any way to wipe his profile from her phone and then add hers?? Help please!!!

Upvote 0
I would like to know these answers as well. I have another problem in that my oldest got to my wifes phone first and entered his gmail info. Now all the notifications come from is email account to her phone. Even after I added her account and deleted his. I guess cause he entered his first then thats the default. Which I also looked into changing. It is checked as the default on the mail Icon on the home page. Not on the gmail app on the apps page. But not bold so I cant change it. I set up lattitude on google maps as well and I have to look at his profile to see her location. Is there any way to wipe his profile from her phone and then add hers?? Help please!!!

I would do a hard reset of the phone to wipe the phone and start again.....

Upvote 0
1) I don't think so, however, you can use the phone's pattern lock feature to lock your phone from unauthorised use - from the home screen, press the menu button > Settings > Security

2) you can delete the account from the Mail app. In the app when the gmail account is active, press the menu button >more>Settings>Delete Account

Hope this helps

Cal

Allo again, i have 2 questions:

1) I have been using the gmail app that came with my hero,and was wondering,
is there anyway I can FORCE a password/login page?

I am a little iffy about someone else having the opportunity to view my personal email quite easily just by clicking the app.

2) I was playing around with the Mail app that came with my hero and logged in to my gmail, so now anytime I click on the mail widget,it immediately pulls up my gmail.

Is there anyway to dis-associate my gmail with the Mail app?
I tried going under settings> applications> manage applications> Mail,
but alas, I couldn't find a way to erase the info.

Thank you! :)

-B

Upvote 0
1) I don't think so, however, you can use the phone's pattern lock feature to lock your phone from unauthorised use - from the home screen, press the menu button > Settings > Security

2) you can delete the account from the Mail app. In the app when the gmail account is active, press the menu button >more>Settings>Delete Account

Hope this helps

Cal

Hi Cal,

Thank so much, by following your steps I was able to disassociate my gmail from the Mail app :)

Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution to my Gmail dilemma.
I tried going to
menu> settings> applications> manage applications> gmail/gmail storage> clear data
but my email was still accessible w/o a login, by clicking on the Gmail app.

le sigh.

I guess I'll put a lock on my phone.

Upvote 0
Hi Cal,

Thank so much, by following your steps I was able to disassociate my gmail from the Mail app :)

Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution to my Gmail dilemma.
I tried going to
menu> settings> applications> manage applications> gmail/gmail storage> clear data
but my email was still accessible w/o a login, by clicking on the Gmail app.

le sigh.

I guess I'll put a lock on my phone.

I tried finding a way to force the phone to prompt for a password on the Samsung Galaxy S for the GMAIL App as well; to no avail.

In searching more on this, it seems this type of functionality would have needed to be coded into the app, since it seems to be available in the Android SDK, when talking about Enterprise-class security (Device Administration | Android Developers).

I guess until there is an update to the app, there is not much that can be done short of rooting the phone and remving the GMAIL App altogether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones