• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail mark all as read

chaos32

May 31, 2010
my phone is showing that i have over 2000 new emails in my inbox gmail inbox, all of them are from april and earlier (unless I get a new one today, then of course that shows up). Is there a way to delete all the old messages, or at least mark them all read so i dont have an icon on my screen that reads 2341??

Several options, chaos:

I'm in the habit of archiving or deleting each individual email after viewing it in the inbox.

If I've neglected to do that, say over the weekend, and a large amount have built up, I'll go into my gmail account on my computer and deal with them, either archiving or mass deleting them via check box or moving them to other folders.

On the phone, if I have too many to just go through individually, I'll hit menu > edit and highlight each one I want to remove and delete them en masse that way. Unfortunately, if there are hundreds, than can take a few minutes as opposed to a few seconds. ;)

Some like to go into gmail on their phone, via the google page, not the gmail app, (the blue gmail link at the top of the google page) and the gmail browser will come up with more features than the gmail app, including check boxes and delete buttons at the top and bottom.

Upvote 0
my phone is showing that i have over 2000 new emails in my inbox gmail inbox, all of them are from april and earlier (unless I get a new one today, then of course that shows up). Is there a way to delete all the old messages, or at least mark them all read so i dont have an icon on my screen that reads 2341??

From the gmail app on the phone, or the mail application?

If you are talking about the gmail app, the easiest way: start gmail in your PC's web browser. Go into All mail (there should be a link to the left.) In the search box, type the query "is:unread". It will show all of your unread emails. There is a checkmark control on the top of the list of messages - it should be the first on the left. Use it to select all messages. From here you can click "More actions" and "mark as read" to mark all of the selected messages as read.

Upvote 0
I had to clear all the unread messages from my laptops browser. Log into gmail acct from computer, select all unread messages and mark as read. Then my phone synched with gmail and reflected the unread message count.

I never figured out a way to do it thru the phone also the unread count is what is on your gmail acct not what is unread in the phone. The phone only downloads 25 or so messages at a time.

Upvote 0
I wish they would improve the gmail app. On the web interface they added a mark all as read feature. In addition it would be nice to eliminate the archive and delete buttons since I always bump them.

I'd hope that would only be an option, because I use the archive and delete buttons all of the time. (It should be noted that, in Froyo, you can now optionally choose to have confirmation of sending and archiving of email messages in the gmail app, as you now already can for messages deletion.)

As for me, I look at my phone as a secondary email platform - I triage the things that are important, and that I want to take care of right away, and leave the rest for a mail client or browser on a regular PC. My guess is that the gmail app was designed with that sort of use in mind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones