Gmail n Such

Last Updated:

1. grosser

grosser Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I am new to the Android Universe (Picked up my Sprint HTC Hero yesterday)

I have a question about google accounts and email sync.

1st, On my previous phone (Windows Mobile) I had my gmail account set up so that my email is "pushed" to my phone. I thought that the android phones were automatically set up to do that, or do I have to do something to get this to work. I only ask because it seems to take a while to receive emails on my phone.

2nd, Before I got the phone I was reading up on the features, and a lot of the posts I read made it seem like I could access my google reader section, saved maps, sync bookmarks, and anything else I had with my google account. But, I can't seem to figure out how to do this. The most I have figured out on the maps is latitude, and nothing else with reader, bookmarks, etc.

If you can help, or maybe tell me where to go to get the help I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
    Gary

Advertisement
  2. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I have only had mine for two weeks...

For Gmail, the mail will be pushed if you use the Gmail app, but not the Email app.

There is a Google Maps application, along with other apps that may give you what you want, but not one huge application that does it all..

3. regression

regression Well-Known Member

For Google Maps, right now we cannot access our saved maps on the phone. That feature is available with a later version of Google Maps that doesn't run on Android 1.5. So in the future (I hope) we can access that. That is one thing I really miss from my Windows Mobile version of Google Maps.

For Reader, Google doesn't have an app for that. There are some 3rd party apps that give you access to your Reader data. I have tried a couple but ended up uninstalling them. I just go to Google Reader's mobile webpage.

For Bookmarks, there are some apps that are supposed to allow you to sync, but I haven't tried any. I have downloaded the Dolphin browser and it says it can sync your Google Bookmarks between itself (Dolphin browser) and your Google account. However when I do this, it just downloads from Google bookmarks to the browser, not the other way around. That is better than nothing I guess. I believe some people have it syncing both ways, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I was a bit disappointed when I first got my Hero in terms of Google integration. I figured if Google wrote the OS, then they would integrate more of their services into it. Maybe in the next version......

grosser likes this.
  4. grosser

I appreciate the info. Hopefully the upgrade of 2.1 that is supposed to come april 9th will update these features.

5. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

I wonder about "full" integration of Google services. Won't Big G get hassled for not including Opera or some other company's nav software a'la M$?

6. grosser

I could be wrong, but I thought that the whole point of coming out with something that is specific to google was supposed to be full integration of google services. Hopefully they are just working their way to it.