Gmail new email notification delaySupport

Last Updated:

1. Rashy

Rashy Member This Topic's Starter

I saw a similar problem in the HTC Hero forums, without a concrete answer, but I wondering if it were a problem for Galaxy S users as well.

Basically, I want to use the Gmail app that comes pre-installed. I have my Accounts set up to sync everything Google related: contacts, gmail, calendar, and picasa [which I don't use, but whatever]. I Don't want to use the Email app [the one with the @ symbol on the icon].

The problem I'm facing is there appears to be a fairly large delay between receive the email on my computer, and receiving it on my phone. I have Wifi Sleep set to Never, and enabled Notifications on the Gmail app as well.

What am I missing?

edit: I should probably note that it was working yesterday when I first tried it. I received emails on my phone instantly.

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

If you have a Task Killer installed, uninstall it. They've been known to interfere with notifications and syncs.

3. Rashy

Don't think I have a Task killer installed [assuming that's an app]. I just did a factory reset and it's working now, so for now, it's resolved.

Could be something I did yesterday that caused it, because I do recall ending some services. Maybe that interfered with it.

4. BookLover

Sounds like you task killed manually.

You really don't need to. Android will automatically kill apps/tasks when it needs the memory.

Read the article in my signature for more details.

5. Rashy

Ok, I suppose I can live with that.

Just to clarify, when you say Task, do you mean Apps running in the background, or background tasks/processes?

[Task Manager -> Active Applications, vs Settings -> Applications -> Running services]

6. BookLover

I consider both tasks.

Android will manage processes/memory for you.

Install Watchdog (see my signature) and it will help you monitor CPU cycles and alert you to misbehaving apps. Then you can decide to either kill the app or let it run.

Every now and then my browser doesn't refresh so I kill it with Watchdog and then restart. So WD is also a task killer too. You use it as a sniper rifle rather than as a machine gun. Your phone will thank you.

You *do* need a task killer to kill misbehaving apps. You *don't* need to kill an app in Android UNLESS it's misbehaving (or you need to restart it for some reason). You do NOT need to set a schedule to machine gun all your apps (active or idle). That causes other problems, most notably email/gmail syncs and notifications end up not working.

Rashy likes this.
  7. Rashy

Thanks for the help :) Much appreciated.
    I got Watchdog and set it to conservative for now.

8. BookLover

You're welcome! Glad to have helped.