Gmail NotificationSupport

Last Updated:

1. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When you get a new email, is there a way to show on the notification bar that you have a "New Email" WITHOUT showing a preview of it? The reason I ask is because I use App Protector to make my email private but it still shows a brief preview when a new email arrives. I still want to be notified when there is a new email and have the blinking notification light. I thought about asking here before emailing the developer for that particular app.

Advertisement
  2. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

great question I would like to know too. Text messages not previewing would be nice too.

3. Tumeg

Tumeg Well-Known Member

If you're using Handcent, this is possible. Settings > Notifications > Notification Settings > Privacy Mode
    I'm not sure about the stock messaging app, or any other SMS app [though I would assume they could do the same thing]

As for gmail, I haven't really thought about it and haven't looked for a way to do it.

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Get GMAIL Notifier from the Market. I think that supplants the email preview in the status bar. I have multiple gmail accounts and I don't see previews anymore after installing Gmail Notifier. Could be because I have multiple accounts or it could be the app removes the preview. I don't know which it is. It's free so try it and see if it does what you need.

Napalm likes this.
  5. Dabitz

Gmail notification does the trick, you have to uncheck the option to show sender and subject in notification bar. I also use Handcent so I was able to fix that. Now the only issue is with GV, but I don't get much text messages through that since people keep sending it to my verizon number :mad:

Thanks a lot...

6. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

just tell your gf to stop texting/emailing you when you're with your other gf/wife/so

lulz

7. Dabitz

Oh the humanity.... :D

8. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Great, downloading gmail notifier now.

9. BookLover

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

10. BookLover

It takes a little discipline, BUT what I do is if someone texts my mobile number, I answer them with my GV number. Then the conversation automatically stays in GV because the other party usually doesn't switch back.

Then i usually keep at least one msg from that person active in GV so that I can easily find their thread and just reply to their new msg, using the old thread.