1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gmail notifications - notifcations bar vs. flashing LED

Last Updated:

1. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way to have a gmail notification in the Notifications bar, but NOT have the flashing LED? Basically, I don't want the LED to flash and disturb me, but when I pick up the phone, I'd like to see that I have new emails.

Advertisement
  2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

The slowly pulsing led trackball disturbs you? I love it, its becoming a daily thing where I wake up in the mornings and see my N1 pulsing at me, urging me to show it attention.

Settings>sound settings> Under the notifications category, uncheck "pulse notification light"

(disclaimer, this is found in 2.2, I can't remember if the location changed from 2.1 to 2.2)

3. wrench

Thanks.

Yeah, layout is a little different on 2.1, but there's an option to configure the notification LED for each type of incoming data - sms, email, vm, etc.

4. wrench

Update: This didn't work. I still get the "M" in the notification bar AND the LED flash, despite the fact that the latter has been turned off in Settings - Sound and Display - Notification Flash - email. Seems that Gmail app does not pay attention to this; it must only work for the HTC email app. And the Gmail app only has notifications on or off, no ability to have a notification bar update without an LED flash.

5. abmoit

abmoit Member

Being able to turn the LED notification off, but keeping the status bar notifications on, is my #1 want right now for the Gmail app.

I've posted on the Google help forums (no responses) and I've seen other forum posts about this dating back pretty far, but there doesn't seem to be any answers or no real way to contact the development team for this app. I'm surprised that this isn't a bigger issue. It seems as if there are only a handful of us out there that even see it as a problem, which is probably why it's not going to get fixed.