Gmail notifications vibrate, even though I have vibrate turned off.Support

1. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

My previous HTC phones had no problem with this function. I want Gmail notifications to never vibrate. Ever. When the ringer volume is up, it will work properly by using the only ringtone I have assigned it and nothing else.

However, the malfunction occurs when my phone goes into vibrate mode when I'm in the office. Despite the proper settings, my phone will vibrate when I get a new email.

Settings > user@gmail.com > Notifications (checked) > Inbox sound & vibrate
    > Label notifications (checked)
    > Vibrate (unchecked)
    > Notify for every message (checked)

Advertisement
    :
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

What notification sound to you have selected in GMail, a specific sound or 'Default Ringtone' ?
    If you have Default Ringtone, I'm wondering if it's vibrating because the system default 'sound' is now a vibration.
    IF that's the way it set up, what happens if you choose a different ringtone (or even the same ringtone as the system default, just specifically chosen in GMail)?
  3. Colchicine

I wasn't using the default ringtone. I changed it and it is still vibrating.
  4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Well, that was my one idea, and it wasn't a good one... :)
    Colchicine likes this.
  5. Colchicine

I'm still hoping to get a resolution to this. Right now I am manually turning off and on notifications twice a day.
  6. Colchicine

I found the answer over on Android Central.

So Android, the OS with the most flexibility and customizations... just got less flexible and customizable.
    Podivin likes this.
  7. JFeisty

JFeisty Well-Known Member

I have nothing constructive to add to this....just wanted to say that this drives me absolutely crazy! I've always set up my Gmail app to never vibrate, but on this phone it cannot be done. Grrrrr.....
  8. Colchicine

App settings are as follows:

Email notifications: Checked
    Select Ringtone: one has been chosen
    Vibrate: Checked

I don't see any notification settings under the general settings tab.

When my phone is in vibrate mode, I never sense when I get an email. I do get the selected ringtone when I have the volume turned up.

Is this something like the Gmail change I posted above?
  9. mdeva

mdeva Well-Known Member

Related problem. I don't see any way to turn ON Gmail notification (i.e. icon) and turn OFF notification sound.

I could do this with my previous 9 Androids. No way with s3? (Aside from creating a 'null' notification - then selecting it)