1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gmail or Mail app

Last Updated:

1. kurpaige

kurpaige Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been reading about all the true push or not posts about the gmail app. I have a simple question that I hope has a simple answer. Which is better on your battery? I have a 3 gmail accounts set up to check every 4 hours. Is using the gmail app to get my mail in my main account better on the battery then checking every 4 hours? The other 2 accounts I can have them just not come to the phone until they figure out how to do more then one gmail account in the gmail app.

Basically is polling every 4 hours better on the battery then the gmail app?

Advertisement
  2. mylinuxbox

mylinuxbox Well-Known Member

Why not login to your main gmail account online and set that up to pull in via pop3 your other accounts emails?

I had until recently, both apps running but then I merged my email accounts to come via one address and now only need one account.

What I am not sure about here is if this will be the same from gmail accounts.

I have gmail picking up email from my own domain, however, on my own domain I do use the gmail servers.

If this will work for you then you have only one account running on your phone. you have only one app polling for emails but that app gets mail from all your accounts at once.

3. kurpaige

Gmail will not let you pull in other gmail accounts. That's for another problem as I will have to figure out how to merge the three and keep them seperate by labels. The real question tho is which is better for your battery? Gmail syncing one account or mail app polling one account?

4. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

You can forward your other e-mail accounts to go to your G-mail. I know I've done with my Yahoo and school e-mail accounts all the time, work e-mails when I'm out of the office.

5. kurpaige

Yes, you can set up gmail to pull in other email but you cannot set it up to pull in another gmail aco****.

My only real question is does anyone know the battery strain of the gmail app or the mail app or vice versa?