Gmail password hacked twice now

Last Updated: 2011-01-13 14:09:54
  1. Mikell808

Mikell808 New Member

Sprint says they don't know of any issues. Recommended I try online, so I found this site. I swapped out phones on Fri, as usual to use the Market place app I have to enter a gmail account including the password. I don't use this account accept for one source. I don't access it online thru my computer. So the only place I am using my Gmail is thru the phone. On Monday morning I had a message on the phone that my gmail password was not valid. After numerous attempts I went on line thru my computer to Gmail and had a message saying my account had been shut down for abuse, I had several bounced emails so I changed the password. All was well and now I am seeing bounced emails again from last night, the only place I have the password entered is on my phone. Anyone know of any possible way they can be hacking my phone? Is there a firewall program we can download to prevent such occurances?

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
  2. jasonamd

jasonamd Well-Known Member

Your phone isn't being hacked, its your gmail account. Doesn't matter if you've never entered your password anywhere but your phone, if its not a strong password it has been my experience that your gmail account will get hacked at somepoint. Its happened to my gmail account and a hotmail account I haven't actively used in a couple years. If you search about the issue you will find it is very common. It has nothing to do with the phone itself.
  3. dangerdat

dangerdat Active Member

Gmail has added another layer of security involving a pin number sent to your mobile. In your gmail settings (via web browser, not Android gmail app) you will find the option to add this layer of security. It certainly seems a pain but appears you may require this two-step process.

DD
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info :) I have not had any problems.
    I use a strong PW but anything extra will help going to log on to gmail now and give it a go. :D
  5. Droid_Rage

Droid_Rage Active Member

"Password" isn't a strong password??
  6. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

7. gooberman

gooberman Well-Known Member

and I shouldn't use 1234?
  8. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

noooooooooooooooo !2E4 would be much better. lol
  9. dangerdat

dangerdat Active Member

My password is just my middle name, which happens to be password.
  10. Mac Man

Mac Man Member

I use LastPass to generate a random 16 character passwords on every site i post on. The only problem I have is transferring them to my phone.
  11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Use KeePass and KeePass Droid (Android App - copy / paste password to the gmail log in screen).

I love KeePass. Would never use anything else. Even donated to the developers even though it's open source and free.
  12. Remordere

Remordere Well-Known Member

Here's my tips on creating a strong password.

Choose a phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

Use only the starting letter "TQBFJOTLD"

Random caps "tQBFjoTld"

Then input numbers in between , your bday for example or anniversay
    "t0Q1B2F8j1o9T9l0d"

You can use the same password for different accounts

Gmail : t0Q1B2F8j1o9T9l0dgmail
    FB: t0Q1B2F8j1o9T9l0dFB

Now you have a strong password
  13. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member

What apps are you using? Can you list them out, all of them.
    I"d never use a app to store passwords.. I don't think i'd trust that at all.
    You living with buddies in an apartment? are you the only one using your PC at home?

I doubt it's your phone.