1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gmail Priority Inbox Notifications

Last Updated:

1. newandroid10

newandroid10 Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know how to set it so that my Android phone only notifies me when I get a message in my "Priority Inbox" (the new feature Google just launched in case you don't know what it is)?

With my email I receive a bunch of newsletters, so instead of being notified every time one of them arrives I'd like to be notified only when messages in my Priority Inbox arrive.

Being able to be alerted to messages with certain labels only would also work.

Advertisement
  2. Frantik

Frantik New Member

Joined this forum just to subscribe to this thread. I'd like to be able to do this too.

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You could try one of the gmail notifier apps in the Market. I am not certain whether any of them have this feature, but maybe they do.

You can also have widgets for labels and do stuff with that, but you would have to think of a way to do what you want.

4. VRC

VRC New Member

I had the exact same question and also joined because I want to follow this thread.

Before priority inbox, I had set up a multiple inbox configuration that achieved something similar. I had a filter called "lists" where I had all the stuff I get from amazon, tiger direct, ecost, ebay etc, filtered into that label, skipping my inbox, and showing up in one of the other "inboxes" which was for that label. Since it skipped the inbox, I didn't get the notification on my phone. The problem was that maintaining that filter was a pain.

They might need to update the gmail app on android to do this -- add the setting that you are only notified for emails with the "important" status.

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

You can try Gmail Label Notifier in the Market. Priority Inbox appears to create a new label: Important, which you should be able to use in conjunction with the app.

6. VRC

VRC New Member

The "Important" label appears in the web version of gmail, but not yet in the Gmail app, so I don't think that would work. But if anyone gets it to work, please post. (I'm not going to try cause I'd have to buy the app.)

Edit: It just occurred to me that when they update the gmail app to include this label, we'll be able to set it to only sync that label...

7. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

In the current Gmail you can't tell it to not sync the Inbox.

8. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You can try to enable the advanced IMAP feature from Labs and it will allow you to chose what labels to show and not to show in IMAP mode. Maybe that will help.

9. drdunga

drdunga New Member

Two ways that I do this:
    (1) Use built-in Gmail filters, so that low-priority newsletters Skip Inbox in the first place.
    (2) Try Launcher Pro as a replacement Android launcher. You can set a Launcher Pro Shortcut for a Gmail Label, including "Important" (or any other Gmail label you have). Further, if you set this up in the Launcher Pro bar at the bottom of the home screen, then it will show a red number indicating the number of unread Important messages.