Gmail problem with my new Hero

Last Updated:

1. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. I've had the phone for a week and I love it - there's just one issue which I'm hoping someone can help with.

Gmail - I just can't get into it using the browser. I can get in on the gmail app that came with the phone, but I also need to get in using the browser. When I try and sign in, the page just sort of flickers, like it's refreshing over and over again, and never loads up. I'm on Orange in the UK - anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement
  2. dean.collins.dc

dean.collins.dc Member

when gmail.com loads in your phone browser there should be a link at the bottom called 'Load basic HTML' click this and your account should load up ok. It's not as fancy but should work just fine.

also if you need the url for the html version try this: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=e

3. gezh

Thanks for the advice Dean. It would be great if I could find the 'equals' symbol on my soft keyboard.... where is it?!

4. dean.collins.dc

dean.collins.dc Member

hit the '12#' key then '1/2' (to the left of space bar) and you can get the 'equals' symbol there. :)

5. gezh

It's not!

I get:

!@#$%&*?/:
    _"'()-+;,

And that's it!

EDIT - I found it, sorry!

6. gezh

Right, that didn't help, it still does that same thing.

Weirdly, I can get in without a problem when I turn on Wifi and use my own wireless connection. But once I turn that off and go back to Orange, it has this problem.

7. dean.collins.dc

dean.collins.dc Member

hmm that's strange... I have no issues accessing it with my t-mobile data connection, maybe it's some sort of weird Orange related issue.
    can't think of anything off the top of my head right now, but I'll see if I can come up with something for you

8. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I noticed when I tried logging into the GMail mobile site that it would error out and change to https and give an error.

Maybe you could change the settings in GMail under the General tab, browser connection. Change it to "Don't always use https"

That solved my problem. If it makes no difference on your problem, you can always change it back.

Be sure to delete your mobile browser cache before trying.

9. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I have same issue when trying to get my ymail through yahoo mobile.........

I'm on Orange too.

10. o7who

o7who Active Member

try these addresses for yahoo and google :

wap.oa.yahoo.com

m.google.com

and then follow the links for mail. The google one will tell you about the application, but theres a VISIT button just below. And the yahoo one will have a link on the page (it doesnt matter if you've a uk or US yahoo account). Then save the links as bookmarks when you're on the login page, or just after you've logged in (sometimes it just logs me in automatically with bookmark created after i've logged in).

The same can be done with msn (mobile.uk.msn.com/device/default.aspx)

I've a Orange Hero, but using 3's network, so different proxy servers, etc.

11. gezh

That address, in the end, ends up at the same place. Same problem.

Before I had this phone, I had borrowed a friend's HTC Magic, which was on Vodafone, and I had no such problems. I do feel that it's an Orange problem...