• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail push email broken.. anyone else?

Jedis

Jan 21, 2010
Is anyone else's push email from Gmail broken? Mine is.

I've played with the settings, restored to the stock rom, sent myself an email from the computer, but the notification never comes up. If I go into Gmail, the mail is sitting there for me to read though.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've checked the settings dozens of times. Notifications are turned on in Gmail. They're also on in Gmail Notifier. Tried without Gmail Notifier, no notifications. Tried with notifications off in Gmail and on in Gmail Notifier -- no dice.

This originally worked for the first week or two that I had the phone, but does not work at all now. It doesn't even work when I load back to a nandroid backup right after I rooted the phone, with no other apps installed.

Upvote 0
Glad to see it's just not me. There are definite issues with the Gmail app.

Are you guys using a @gmail email account or is it a gmail apps account? The account I'm having issues with is my college's email, which uses gmail as the provider. It's not a @gmail.com address, but a @school.edu account. Maybe there's an issue with these alternate accounts?

Upvote 0
It's definitely on Google's end. I flashed back to stock using the 1.56 RUU last night. Over 12 hours later, I haven't received one single notification from Gmail about new mail.

If I enter the Gmail app and refresh the view, new mail is there though.

How do we go about letting Google know something is fubar with their push servers?

Upvote 0
Had the same problem, too. Worked fine at first then took longer to receive and eventually stopped all together.

Two things I did about two weeks ago and so far, so good.

I switched from using the POP3 setting to using IMAP. Only issue I can't seem to resolve is that in responding to an email from the Hero gmail app, it displays my gmail address, not my main email account that gmail 'fetched' it from (This worked fine when using POP3 setting - there's an option for it).

Also, I deleted the account on the gmail settings page that my gmail was fetching from , and then re-added it.

As I said, so far, so good. Hope I didn't just jinx it...

Upvote 0
Had the same problem, too. Worked fine at first then took longer to receive and eventually stopped all together.

Two things I did about two weeks ago and so far, so good.

I switched from using the POP3 setting to using IMAP. Only issue I can't seem to resolve is that in responding to an email from the Hero gmail app, it displays my gmail address, not my main email account that gmail 'fetched' it from (This worked fine when using POP3 setting - there's an option for it).

Also, I deleted the account on the gmail settings page that my gmail was fetching from , and then re-added it.

As I said, so far, so good. Hope I didn't just jinx it...
So you're using the HTC Mail program and not Gmail?

I want to use the Gmail app on the phone and there is no settings for IMAP/POP3 on the phone itself. It's all setup on the website.

Upvote 0
So you're using the HTC Mail program and not Gmail?

I want to use the Gmail app on the phone and there is no settings for IMAP/POP3 on the phone itself. It's all setup on the website.

Exactly, it's set up on the gmail website and I'm using the gmail app on the phone. I'm also using the gmail notifier app and gmail unread count app.toI was notified of your response via my gmail account that fetched from my main email account (cable provider) and pushed to the hero gmail app so its definitely working. :)

Upvote 0
My Gmail account is configured to retrieve mail from 4 other accounts. Gmail only offers to download mail from other accounts via POP3:

pop3.jpg

I also have both of those apps you mention and neither one give any notifications.

Also, to clarify: Are you or are you not using the 'Mail' program by HTC? That is completely seperate from the Gmail app. I'm looking to just use the Gmail app, however the push part is not working.

Upvote 0
I am NOT using the HTC mail program.

Check this: Are you using the Gmail Unread Count widget one your home screens, NOT Gmail nor Gmail Notifier program shortcuts? Not sure if that's what you have on your home screens or not but the Gmail Unread Count widget is what NEEDS to be on your home screen for notifications.

When you add Unread Count to the home screen it will prompt you with settings, one is which account you want it to show unread for. Enter your complete Gmail account address.

Other important settings:
Style: Native
Image: 3D Red (any of the 3D settings should be fine)
HTC Hero Compatibility (checked)

Hit OK at the bottom of the screen when done.

THEN click on the Gmail icon on your screen, select Menu>Settings and UNCHECK Email notifications (so you don't get duplicate notifications). Sounds pretty F'd up, huh? It is. Lots of reading of the posts on the forum here along with trial and error and this works...or did for me at least. BTW, I'm getting email notifications on my Hero as I'm typing this..

If you have this already set up this way then I'm not sure what the problem could be. Sounds like you are getting your mail into your Gmail - just not being notified. Hope this works...;)

Upvote 0
egebamyasi, just downloaded the gmail unread app on your suggestion. thanks! however, above you said to UNCHECK email notifications to avoid getting dupes notifications, etc. however when i did that i wasnt getting ANY notif's (aside from the counter bubble in the widget). so rechecked it and all seems well so far.

under settings > data synchro > google, i have auto sync checked (for only gmail)...so my main question (and you can tell i'm a noob) is, with this gmail/IMAP thing, is this "push mail"? i.e. less wear and tear on my battery vs "checking email every 15 mins" with the stock HTC a app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones