gmail query - check mail nowGeneral

1. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister Member

On my gmail, I have several POP3 accounts that get checked periodically. It all works fine on both my HTC and on my desktop PC, but occasionally I want to check for e-mail on an account RIGHT NOW. On the desktop, I go into gmail, click on settings, choose Accounts and Imports, and in the "Check mail using POP3" section I just click "Check mail now".

However, on the HTC this isn't showing. I'm not talking about the mail app (which I use most of the time), I mean if I go to the main Internet browser (the app is just called "Internet"), set it so it doesn't go into mobile view by default, go to gmail, tell it I want the standard, not mobile interface...

I get something that looks *almost* like my desktop interface, but not quite. If I click settings, some of the tabs are missing (Labels, for instance), "Accounts and Imports" is just called "Accounts" and is missing the all-important "Check mail now" option.

Anyone else know either how I can get the standard gmail interface like I have on my desktop for the rare instances that I want to go into settings, or if there's some other way of getting gmail to "check now" on an Android phone?

Thanks in advance!

Chris.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

If you switch to the desktop mode on your phone, it gives you the 'basic html' version of the site. You need to click on 'Gmail View: Standard' at the bottom to see the proper site.

But I found that you need to have your useragent set to desktop (which you can do in the settings), otherwise clicking standard redirects you back to the mobile site.
  3. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister Member

That sounds like just what I need, Xyro - thanks very much! Where's the setting for useragent though - I am getting the problem you describe, where changing from "Basic" to "Standard" reverts to the mobile view.

I've had a look in Settings on the HTC in general, and in Settings in gmail, but can't see this item anywhere.
  4. Xyro

The user agent option is in the browser settings. It basically tells websites you're visiting which browser and OS you're using.
  5. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister Member

Thanks, Xyro - I've only had the phone a few days, and don't even know how to find out what the browser's called - but it didn't have that setting (it's the default one Orange provides). However, I've just downloaded Dolphin, which does - and your suggestion works perfectly!

Thanks again :)
  6. Xyro

That's odd, I would've expected it to be an option in all the browsers. Oh well.

I wish google would incorporate the option to check other accounts into the gmail app. I use the same setup as you and it's a bit of a pain.