Gmail RefreshSupport

Last Updated:

1. geeter

geeter New Member This Topic's Starter

First time poster here...........

I am wondering how I can get my gmail to refresh itself and notify me of emails? I have all of the gmail settings figured out (including email notifications), but I always have to manually go in and refresh to see if my inbox has been updated. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. SinR1

SinR1 Member

in Gmail settings, make sure "email notifications" is checked. it will pop up in the notification bar then.

3. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

I have a followup question. I don't want my email to auto check unless I open the mail application. In my old iPhone, as soon as I opened the mail app, it automatically checked for new mail.

On the Epic, Even if I'm connected to the internet, as soon as I open the gmail app, I have to manually hit refresh to get it to check for new mail. This seems wrong to me. How do I fix this?

thanks

4. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Well-Known Member

Ya, I want to know this too for my HTC Legend.

5. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

bump - Anyone know if this is possible?

6. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

Gmail was having an issue last week for some customers (me being one of them), mine has begun to work correctly since last Friday. The problem you described in the first post was the same issue I was having. Gmail is pushed to our phones (when working properly). Meaning when new mail arrives, the gmail server sends it directly to your phone (similar to blackberry). Your phone isn't "checking" for gmail, the gmail sever simply sends it pretty much instantly when you get it. This in theory uses less battery than when a phone has to check or poll the email server at some interval. Which is how the email app (not gmail app) works on these phones. I'm not sure why you would only want you phone to get email when you open the application, but if battery life was a concern, it shouldn't be. If your in a situation where you have bad data signal, it will cause significant drain on your battery. When I'm in an area like that, I turn off sync to save battery life. Does that answer your question?