Gmail sync problems - againSupport

Last Updated:

1. turicus

turicus New Member

I have an HTC One X with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4. No data limits, but I'm on a 2G/EDGE network.

My phone has two syncing issues:

1. Gmail has problems syncing via the mobile network. Not sure if it's a bandwidth problem, it only happens on EDGE. Other apps, pop3 email and browsing work fine on EDGE. Gmail syncs well via WiFi. On EDGE, the two sync arrows sometimes are displayed for hours in the status bar and if I open the Gmail app, it says "Loading conversations...". Or it says "Unable to connect". I definitely have internet, because I can browse and other apps like weather update. Sometimes the issue is resolved if I hit manual update. Syncing is turned on in the Settings, Gmail Sync is active, it's green on the tools bar etc. and it does try to sync. It just seems disconnected although I'm sure I have internet. It worked fine on this network with my HTC Desire.
    What could be the issue here? Internet too slow?

2. When the phone is idle for a while (over night), it syncs nothing at all. No blinking notification LED in the morning. As soon as I activate the screen it goes to sync and emails, whatsapp messages and other notifications pour in all at once; they were queued for hours. Is the internet connection somehow going to sleep?

Thanks in advance for any help!