Gmail syncing issue on ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. pcb28

pcb28 Member This Topic's Starter

My Gmail has not been syncing for several days. I've tried a battery pull a couple times, no luck.

Under MENU>ACCOUNTS>MENU>SETTINGS>MANAGAE ACCTS, all looks fine, there's no errors. When I tap the SYNC NOW button, nothing. I guess the next step is to remove and re-add the account. I understand that'll wipe any data on the phone, such as pics and texts. A couple questions:

1. What else will I lose besides pics and texts?
    2. Is there any way to back that stuff up/move it to the SD card?
    3. Is there another fix to this syncing issue out there that won't wipe the phone?

Many thanks for any ideas guys.

Advertisement
  2. DroidJW

DroidJW Well-Known Member

before I rooted, I used to have this occasionally. Rather than tap sync now, I would tap to "uncheck" sync gmail then tap to check again (would sync immediately). Dont know why its any different from "sync now" but it often worked for me. Also, I assume you have "background data" and "auto sync" checked on the Accounts&Sync page.

pcb28 likes this.
  3. pcb28

thanks. i actually had tried the uncheck/recheck thing to no avail but forgot to mention it. just tried again, same thing. the circular syncing icons appear (w/the arrows) but it's still not syncing. hrmmm. maybe i should just take the root plunge, eh?

4. mistaj33

mistaj33 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should just try clearing the gmail data from the applications menu. Go to Menu ---> Settings ---> Applications ---> Manage Applications. Then find Gmail and Gmail Storage and clear the data on both. Then try and re-sync.

This can fix things if for some reason your phone and gmail account get out of sync with each other. I usually have to do this after restoring a Nandroid backup on my rooted Eris. Credit goes to TheNestor for posting this a while back in the root forum.

Along those lines, I am very happy with my phone after rooting. It really helped with the dialer lag, even on sense-based ROMs. I ditched sense about a month ago and haven't looked back. LauncherPro has been a great alternative, esp. if you don't care about sense widgets.

Skeletronix, tgn11 and pcb28 like this.
  5. pcb28

the issue seemed to eventually resolve itself after using DroidJW's suggestion, but thanks mistaj33 for the gmail data tip (i may just try that in the future) and for your other thoughts on rooting. much appreciated to you both.

6. snorander

snorander Well-Known Member

I was having the same problem I did a factory reset now everything is working great

7. busybee

busybee Member

Note: I am rooted and have had the same trouble for the past couple of days. Nothing I do seems to make it sync.

I have tried going to uncheck/check the sync box, but on my rom (Evil Eris 3), the account settings force close.

My next stop is to try a new rom, but that may take a few days to figure out. Just wanted to add my two cents in here so people know it's happening to both rooted and non-rooted people. It may just be a function of my rom, but who knows.

8. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

I am having trouble syncing Gmail as well.... just started the last couple of days. Strange problem. I've tried all the fixes listed.

9. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Seems Google is having trouble with their servers. I wonder if this is anyway connected to the weather syncing issues that have recently come up?

10. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

It's strange. Never had problems with gmail on the phone. But not only is it not syncing but it will also get stuck on sending...

11. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I'm having sync issues with gmail right now. Both accounts were down earlier, but now one is back to normal. The other one, I can receive email, but can't send gmail or sync back to the server.

At least I know I'm on the only one and going crazy trying to fix it. :eek:

Edit: Thanks to doogald, i was able to fix the gmail problem by clearing both gmail data and gmailstorage data.

12. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

After changing ROMs I was still receiving Gmail but when sending it would just sit in the outbox. After clearing Gmail storage AND Gmail it began to work again. Thanks for the tip! :)