GMail syncronisation frequency?

Last Updated:

1. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's one for you. I cannot find where to set the time interval for syncing my google mail account with my phone. I see the option to activate and deactivate, but where can I set how often it syncs?

Anyone know? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. junkiepilot

junkiepilot Well-Known Member

I believe it is push sync.

StevenSeed likes this.
  3. neiltc13

neiltc13 Member

You can only set it to 'push' the data. The new messages will appear on your phone as soon as they arrive.

StevenSeed likes this.
  4. StevenSeed

...but it must have to log onto the server to see if there are any emails there. I'm looking to change this frequency to, say, once every 30 minutes (like Facebook) to try and conserve battery. Is this not possible?

5. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

Not using the gmail app.

StevenSeed likes this.
  6. StevenSeed

I'm using the standard stock Gmail app, yes.

7. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

It's a push email app, so that's how it works. You can use the mail app and set frequency on it.

8. StevenSeed

Forgive my lack of understanding - I'm not familiar with a 'push email app'. Does this mean that the app is holding a connection open to the GMail mail server constantly, waiting for an email to come in?

I mean that's good in a way because I get emails straight away, but I bet that slaughter's the battery doesn't it? :eek:

9. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

Gmail offers push email to android phones. Push email is a service that sends mail straight to your phone once it's received in your inbox. If you use the gmail app you will automatically have push email from your gmail inbox, sync times are irrelevant as the mail is sent to your phone as it arrives in your gmail inbox, provided you have auto sync switched on. If you don't want to be notified every time an email arrives in your gmail inbox you can switch off auto sync and just manually sync every time you want to see if there is mail there.

Alternatively you can use the standard mail app and set up an account using the pop3 settings from your gmail account. These are available in the settings in gmail on the web. You can then set the frequency of checks to the server to see if you have any new mail. You need background data transfer switched on for this to work but you don't need auto syncing to be on.

Hope this helps.

StevenSeed likes this.
  10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

No more than texts would

StevenSeed likes this.
  11. StevenSeed

This is a great help, thanks. I didn't know the app worked like that. It means leaving my mobile internet on permanently, but I guess it's worth it to get real time emails.

Thanks for your help everyone.

12. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Tbh, when I tested turning mobile data to manual, using the net regularly as I do, I found I used more power on t-mobile. Could be a tmob quirk though

13. StevenSeed

I'm on t-mobile also, so I'll try leaving mobile internet on permanently for a few days and see if I notice a difference.

Meanwhile, thanks a million for your advice.

14. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member

i understand the push email and stuff but what exactly does the settings under googlemail app>settings>labels>

duration>sync 4 days or whenever

inbox + sent >sync 4 days or sync all mean?