• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail - turning off notification sound while keeping taskbar notification (screenshots)

wrench

Jul 6, 2010
NC
I have multiple Gmail accounts set up on my Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2.

One of these accounts has taskbar notifications, but no notification sound:

I had another account set up similarly, but temporarily wanted a sound notification, so I clicked on "Sound" and chose a ringtone, as follows:

Now I want to move that gmail account back to silent, but can't figure out how to accomplish this. When I click on "Sound", a file explorer immediately pops up and the only option is to select another ringtone or cancel. There doesn't seem to be an option to return to "Silent".

Do you have a choice of apps to select the tone?
(if not, clear defaults on your chosen app)

When I select "media storage" as app to choose sounds, the second choice is "none"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160113-143507.png
    Screenshot_20160113-143507.png
    467.5 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: wrench
Upvote 0
Do you have a choice of apps to select the tone?
(if not, clear defaults on your chosen app)

When I select "media storage" as app to choose sounds, the second choice is "none"
Thanks! ES File Explorer was my default file manager. I cleared defaults for ES in Application Manager, and was able to choose Media Storage as the file browser and then select "Silent".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones