GMAIL Warning!

Last Updated:

1. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Today, I noticed several "return to sender" emails in my inbox. Upon further inspection, my Gmail account had been hacked and sent out spam (to everyone in my address book). I immediately changed my password, and all seems well for now...

I decided to see if others where having this problem and ran across this slashdot article (seems to be wide spread).

Link : Slashdot IT Story | Escalating Gmail/Spamming Attacks

Advertisement
    QrafTee likes this.
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

never had this issue, but that sucks

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning. My friend already warned me because his account was compromised and sent us all a text telling us not to open the email.

4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

The emails may not actually be coming from your account, but the sender address is spoofed and has your address in it.

I'd contact the appropriate resource at google. Probably help@gmail.com or abuse@gmail.com.

5. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to change my password?

6. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Usually if it was just spoofed there wouldn't be a return to sender error to the legitimate account from a failed to deliver email, no?

7. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Sometimes a forged or spoofed sender will result in exactly that - you getting an error from the receiving server, because it thinks you sent the email.

8. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

I've seen several from Yahoo accounts lately, including my own. I deleted all my contacts in Yahoo, since I don't use it to send emails anymore. Hope it doesn't start with my GMail account too.

9. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

Kelmar likes this.
  10. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Not long ago a friend had their yahoo account send out spam to all their contacts. Sure spoofing could result in failed delivery messages on the compromised/spoofed account, but the fact that the spam was sent to everyone on their friend list leads me to believe it was hacked or otherwise compromised. I had them change their passwords and security questions, and haven't had a problem since (though I tried to convince them to move to gmail to no avail).

Now what the case is for the recent rash of Gmail spam is.... no idea. But keep a strong password and security questions. If in doubt, change your password.

11. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The returned emails where all in my contacts (I don't keep it too clean, so there are quite a few email addresses that are no longer active). If it was spoofing, wouldn't it be email addresses I wouldn't recognize?

12. Krugger

Krugger Well-Known Member

these are not spoofed, they are sent from your account. happened to one of ours we rarely use. definitely a google issue.