• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail: What do all the syncing options mean/do?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all. This is something that has confused me for quite a while, and I'm hoping someone can explain this to me. My confusion stems from the fact that there are syncing options in three different places in the Gmail settings, and also from the fact that they don't seem to work as described. I'll break it down into smaller questions:

1. From Gmail > Settings > email address > Inbox sound & vibrate, there is a setting called "Sync messages." What does this do and what does it affect? Everything? All inboxes (Primary, Social, etc.)?

2. From Gmail > Settings > email address, there is a setting called "Days of mail to sync." Again, what does this do and affect? How is this different from the above?

3. Finally, from Gmail > Settings > email address > Manage labels, you can set the sync time for each individual label/inbox (Primary, Social, etc.). I assume this only affects that particular label, but does it override the other settings, or do they override this?

I said the sync setting don't seem to work as described because often when I set it to "sync all," it usually just has a loading icon indefinitely until I stop it. Sometimes it finishes loading though. However, when I set it to "30 days," it *still* seems to download everything, because I can scroll down and go well past the last month's worth of emails. Also, setting some of them to "sync none" still seems to sync everything!

So please, for my sanity, someone please explain the difference between these three settings, what they each affect, and why the "30 day" option doesn't actually seem to limit things to 30 days.

Thanks!

Edit: I especially have problems with the "All mail" label. When I set this to "sync all," it loads indefinitely and I have to just manually stop it. When I set it to "last 30 days," it's actually showing everything BUT the last 30 days! Seriously, the most recent email in the list is Sept. 27, exactly one month ago! I just don't get it!

Edit 2: When I set "All Mail" to not sync at all, then it shows everything! :(

Also, in the Account settings under Google, Gmail is showing to be constantly syncing. How do I stop this?

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones