• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm not sure if you've tried this, but here is where you set your notifications:

1) Open Gmail
2) Press the menu button. It's the left-most button along the bottom with 4 squares
3) Select More>Settings
4) Select your Gmail account you want notifications for.
Note. I have 3 Gmail accounts on my phone, so I'm asked to select an account. If you only have one Gmail account, it might bypass this screen.
5) Scroll to the bottom and under "Notification settings" check the box next to "Email notifications."

If you have that checked already, you might have auto-sync turned off.

1) From any home screen press Menu>Settings>Accounts
2) Select your gmail account
3) Make sure "Sync Gmail" is checked

While you're there, you might want to uncheck any other items you don't use like Drive or Google Play Books.

One final possibility is that you have Data Saver turned on or Background data disabled. I don't know if this would affect your gmail notifications, but if all else fails, give it a shot.

1) From any home screen press Menu>Settings>Battery & data manager

For Data Saver:
2) click Data Saver and make sure "Data Saver" us unchecked
3) Go back one menu and select "Battery mode."
4) Check that you have it preset to "Performance mode".

For Background data
5) click Data delivery from the Battery & data manager screen and make sure "Background data," "Data roaming" and "Data enabled" are checked.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
@agroom...

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to your response. i was with my son-in-law tonight (who is still having problems with his gmail auto syncing on his electrify. We took a look at all of the items that you listed and everything was set ok on his phone.

Two questions:

1. Does having 360 unopened messages on his phone create any kind of problem?

2. What about removing his account on the phone and then adding it back in afterwards?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones