• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmote - Touchpad working but not remote

cjt20one

Aug 23, 2010
CT
I finally DL'd Gmote, love the Touchpad feature but I can't get the remote feature to work. I'm running W7 and just DL'd the latest version of VLC and no dice. Is this a W7 issue?

I searched for anyone else having a similar problem but couldn't find anything - sorry if this has been posted.

I'm confused then, why does the FAQ on their site say the following?

Can I use a media player other than VLC? Can I use Windows Media Player?
The program is designed to support multiple media players. We currently only fully support one player, which is VLC. However, there is an experimental section in the code that allows you to use Windows Media Player instead of VLC. To enable it do the following (but keep in mind that this is a 'beta' feature and doesn't support all of the features of the VLC binding):
From your computer, right click on the Gmote server icon and select 'help', 'show settings and logs folder'
Turn off the gmote server by right clicking on its icon again and selecting 'exit'
Open the file called supported_filetypes.txt
Change any line that says "org.gmote.server.media.vlc.VlcMediaPlayer" to "org.gmote.server.media.windows.WindowsMediaPlayer11Controller"
Turn the server back on by going to start, program files, Gmote Server

Upvote 0
So after a bit of digging, I found out that indeed it uses VLC. But, it uses it's own type of VLC run through java lol. Go to Computer>Local Disc C>Progam Files x86 (if your running Windows 7 64 bit)>GmoteServer>Bin>VLC
Not the native VLC made for windows but the one made specifically for gmote

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones