1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gmote

Last Updated:

1. marada2

marada2 Member This Topic's Starter

I have just installed Gmote on my Android phone and absolutely love it. I now have no need for the keyboard on my windows 7 computer in the living room. I only use this for video / music so Gmote is perfect for this. It means I can control everything on my phone without having to walk to the other side of the room to tend to my computer. The problem is I want to keep the windows password logon screen, but Gmote is not running at this time so I am unable to enter my windows password using my phone. My question is how do I get Gmote to run before the login screen so I can use it to input my password?
    I have gone into gpedit.msc and tried to add the program to a start up script, however this has not worked. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this working so I can input my windows logon password with Gmote?

Advertisement
  2. marada2

marada2 Member This Topic's Starter

Having figured that if I want Gmote to be available at the logon screen I will have to setup Gmote as a windows service. I seem to have done this successfully by following the below steps:

1.Run SrvInstw.exe
    2.Check Install Service radio box, click Next
    3.Check Local Machine radio box, click Next
    4.Enter the name for your service, click Next
    5.Click Browse and select srvany.exe (which is in the same folder as SrvInstw.exe, remember?), then click Next
    6.Click Service is its own Process radio box, click Next
    7.Select what user account you want this service to run under. If this service is to have its UI, check the Allow Service to Interact with Desktop checkbox. Normally the services run under System Account
    8.Select the startup option, click Next
    9.Click Finish. But you are not finished just yet
    10.Open RegEdit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    11.Locate the service you just created in the Services branch, click on it.
    12.Create a new key called Parameters
    13.Click on Parameters and create a new string value called Application
    14.Double-click on Application and set it equal to the full path of your VB executable (e.g. c:\...\MyApp.exe)

I then had a problem when Gmote was starting that it would complain about VlC libraries. After more research I found the following rectified this

A. Right-click "Computer" and choose "Properties".
    B. on the left, choose Advanced system settings.
    C. Click the Advanced tab, then "Environment Variables"
    D. On the bottom "System Variables" group, scroll down to the "Path" variable and double-click
    E. What is here varies by what you have installed on your computer. You need to edit the value.
    F. Move all the way to the end and add this (no space after current contents):

;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6;C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC;C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins

My only problem now is that Gmote seems to be starting before my wirless network is configured and comes up with an error message: