GNexus on T-Mobile 4G HotspotGeneral

Last Updated:

1. DashPHL

DashPHL New Member

Hi! I'm thinking about getting the T-Mobile 4G Mobile Hotspot plan for $20/month, but I don't want to buy their hotspot devices. Instead, I was wondering if I would be able to use my Galaxy Nexus as a wireless hotspot and use wi-fi tethering. I really don't want to spent over a $100 dollars on those devices. Is this possible? If so, what speeds would I get on my Galaxy Nexus? Would there be any additional monthly charge? I am currently on T-Mobile's family talk/text plan with no data.

Thanks a lot!

2. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Can you clarify?
    1. Do you already have a GSM Galaxy nexus?
    2. Looks like you can get a free Hotspot device with a 2yr plan.
    3. The cheapest plan I see on T-Mobile for a hotspot is $40/mo for 2GB

So you would have to have a GN as your phone, you would have to add a data plan to your line, and then use the GN as a hotspot to connect other devices.

Yes, you can technically do that. Would there be an additional monthly charge beyond the cost of the data plan for the GN? Well, looks like an unlimited talk-text-data plan on TM is $80/mo. Premium unlimited gives your phone 'hotspot ability' for another $15/mo

Technically, on Verizon they also charge you for Wifi tethering to your GN, but you can run tethering for free with 3rd party apps.... the only catch is that its technically a violation of your terms of service to do so. Nevertheless, people still do it and hope not to "get caught". I assume the same is true on TM and ATT. You can run a 3rd party tethering app, violate your TOS and connect other devices.
  3. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Well-Known Member

Yes, you can use a GNex as a hotspot, no extra devices or apps are needed. Since Nexus devices are vanilla Android (Well, the GSM ones at least. I can't speak for the CDMA carrier versions.), everything needed to tether/hotspot is built in.

You will want some sort of data plan. I've been told that they can't tell if you're using regular data or if you're using your phone as a hotspot. I suspect this might be partially true but obviously if you're tethering for more than emergency use, they'll know pretty quick by your usage and take action. All of their rates are on their website.

As for what speeds you'll get, this depends on what version of their network is installed in your area and how many users are on it. During the day will obviously be slower than late at night. (I usually see about a 3-6X increase in speeds at night over the day time.)
  4. DashPHL

DashPHL New Member

Thanks for replying.

Sorry for not clarifying. At my local T-Mobile store, they have an offer on a plan that includes 2GB of data (4G Hotspot) for $20/month. Instead of buying a hotspot device from T-Mobile, which connects up to 5 devices, I wanted to use my GSM Unlocked Galaxy Nexus as the hotspot device. I have no idea how their devices work. Do you insert a SIM card into the device to receive internet? If so, would I be able to insert that SIM card into my Galaxy Nexus and receive internet that way?