• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Go Phone, Moto X, 4.4.4 update wifi only?

A friend has a Moto X on AT&T's Go Phone plan, the 4.4.4 update is ready to be downloaded but it says he has to be on WiFi to do it?? He doesn't have WiFi available, so how can he update? Is there a setting somewhere to force it to use mobile data instead?

I'm not close enough to him to see what his options are and he's not that phone savvy.

Does he have an unlimited data plan?

If not, maybe the download exceeds his allowance, or they restrict high gb downloads to wifi to reduce network strain, or maybe they're just cheap. If he lives in the US there are a lot of places that have free WiFi, have him visit one.

Its been a while since I had to use the go service, and that was only because it was the only thing not on contract and worked in my area at the time. Last I remember, at&t were real tight with their data plans and didn't offer unlimited plans to go phone users, but things might have changed since then.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he has the $60/2.5 GB plan so he shouldn't be anywhere near his max (he doesn't use a ton of data). I think AT&T is just cheap.

I know he has set WiFi up for his girlfriend's house, I did tell him to turn it on next time he's there. He's not the kind of guy we want to cut loose at a Starbucks, he'd somehow bring their system down. LOL

I just think it's ridiculously silly that it's WiFi only, not everyone has access or even knows what that is! He can't be the only person confused by it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones